Hebrew Benevolent Society (Atlanta, Ga.)
Found in 10 Collections and/or Records:
The Gordon family spans several generations in Atlanta and Macon, Georgia. Their papers include correspondence, newspaper clippings, scrapbooks, military records, genealogical information, and diaries.
Helen Shulahfer Whitehill is the daughter of Philip and Hannah Shulhafer. Philip Shulhafer was Personnel Director of Montag Paper Company. Hannah Shulhafer was active in The Temple, National Council of Jewish Women and a variety of social service organizations in Atlanta. The papers consists of various papers relating to the Shulhafers and their close friend Rebecca Gershon.
A German immigrant, Louis Cohen was elected mayor of Sandersville in 1887 and served several terms. The papers consist of certificates from the Banking House of Louis Cohen, family genealogical materials, a scrapbook completed by Louis Cohen, the recipe book of Henrietta Happ, family bibles containing additional genealogical records, and correspondence from Cohen and Happ family members.
Sisterhood of Temple B'nai Israel, Albany. Georgia was originally known as the Hebrew Ladies Aid Society and was founded in 1895 as The Ladies Aid Society. The records consist of correspondence, financial records and minutes.
From its humble beginning in 1867, The Temple has become one of the most well-respected congregations in the Southeast and continues to offer both spiritual and secular leadership for its many members. The records consist of meeting minutes, reports, financial statements, bulletins, correspondence, membership records, religious school records, and newsletters.