Jews -- Alabama
Found in 6 Collections and/or Records:
The Rosenbush Family Papers were compiled over three generations beginning with Julius Rosenbush, who was a prominent entrepreneur in the mortuary and furniture businesses in Demopolis, Alabama. His children also participated in the mortuary and furniture business. The collection includes blueprints, correspondence, deeds, accounting ledgers, photographs, genealogical records, and maps.
Irving Zulie Harris was a Birmingham, Alabama chemist, industrialist, and Jewish community leader. Harris was the president of the wholesale drug company Veltex Co. He was the past president and chairman of The United Jewish Welfare Fund. His papers consist of awards, personal and professional correspondence, certificates, newspaper clippings, family documents and papers, along with company logs, memorabilia and promotional materials.
Founded in 1888, Temple Beth El is the Reform congregation in Anniston, Alabama. The collection consists primarily of minutes of the Ladies Hebrew Benevolent Society also known as Henrietta Sterne Sisterhood and the Anniston Sisterhood. The minutes provide insight into both the “good works” of Ladies Benevolent Societies as well as the importance of this particular sisterhood in the overall success of this congregation.
Temple Beth Israel – Gadsden, Alabama was unofficially founded in 1903. The synagogue and its membership were active in the general community life of Gadsden. Without a growing population, the congregation was finally forced to close its doors in 2010. The collection consists of minutes, correspondence, and bulletins of the congregation, as well as records from Gadsden chapter of B’nai B’rith Women and the Gadsden Federated Jewish Charities.