Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Found in 37 Collections and/or Records:
Identifier: Mss 248
Abstract Papers relating to the varied activities and interests of Adelbert and his wife Miriam including speeches, correspondence photographs, a diary, an olive wood souvenir book from Jerusalem, a scrapbook from a trip to Europe, 1949, a scrapbook from the Walter Duranty lecture in Atlanta, 1942, a membership roster from the Zionist Organization of America, undated, and a personal telephone directory.
Dates: 1909 - 2001
Identifier: Mss 014
Abstract Originally known as the Ladies Auxiliary, Ahavath Achim Congregation Sisterhood was founded in 1920 by 18 women as a synagogue-affiliated organization with an emphasis on Jewish values, traditions and education. Over the years the Sisterhood has sponsored numerous projects and activities including adult education, a book shop, Girl Scouts, the Jewish Home and Keren Ami. The records are primarily composed of minutes, program books, souvenir journals, speeches, and programs and invitations...
Dates: 1933 - 2017
Identifier: Mss 054
Abstract Formerly known as Mizrachi Women, this Zionist organization raises funds for Israel. The records include certificates, correspondence, financial records, newspaper clippings, membership records, and a scrapbook.
Dates: 1949 - 1983
Identifier: Mss 357
Scope and Contents The AMIT Women, Savannah Chapter Records consist of five folders containing administrative records of the Savannah chapter. The collection includes meeting agendas, minutes, membership lists, and a brief history of the national organization. The miscellaneous folder includes correspondence and an undated news clipping.
Dates: 1990 - 1996
Identifier: Mss 222
Abstract The Atlanta Federation of Jewish Women's Organizations was founded in 1944 to strengthen relationships between the Jewish women of Atlanta, to promote community interest and to service as a council for community planning. The original member organizations were: The Atlanta Section, National Council of Jewish Women, Atlanta Chapter Hadassah, Temple Sisterhood, Ahavath Achim Sisterhood, Shearith Israel Sisterhood, Or VeShalom Sisterhood, Service Guild, Pioneer Women, and the Women's Auxiliary of...
Dates: 1931 - 1959
Identifier: Mss 262
Identifier: Mss 263
Identifier: Mss 142
Abstract The B’nai B’rith Girls DJG (Devoted Jewish Girls) Chapter in Atlanta was a popular club for girls in Atlanta, Georgia. It was a part of the B’nai B’rith Youth Organization (BBYO) and B’nai B’rith Girls (BBG). The records consist of a scrapbook that documents their activities in the late 1960s.
Dates: 1968 - 1969
Identifier: Mss 322
Identifier: Mss 025
Abstract B'nai B'rith Women, Inc. organized an Atlanta chapter in April, 1944. Activities included assistance to Hillel House at the University of Georgia, the Anti-Defamation League of B'nai B'rith, and the American Red Cross. B'nai B'rith Women were also actively involved with the sale of war bonds during World War II. Programs of B'nai B'rith Women have historically served both the Jewish and non-Jewish communities of Atlanta. The records include Correspondence, newsletter, records of the B'nai...
Dates: 1936 - 1977
Identifier: Mss 326
Identifier: Mss 408
Abstract This collection contains several scrapbooks from Charlotte Kaminsky’s time at the University of Georgia in the 1950s. It contains newspaper articles, photos, and various documents and mementos from her scrapbooks.
Dates: Majority of material found within 1950 - 1959
Identifier: Mss 099
Abstract Evelyn Greenblatt Howren was a Women's Airforce Service Pilot (WASP) during World War II and is recognized in her field as a life-long aviatrix. Souvenir book from the Spanish American War, 1898; and records from Evelyn Howren's career as an aviatrix.
Dates: Majority of material found within 1898 - 1990
Identifier: Mss 022
Abstract Hadassah Southeastern Region was organized in 1926, and is the umbrella organization for all Hadassah chapters in the Southeast. The Atlanta Chapter is the oldest, having been organized in 1916. are composed primarily of minutes, correspondence, committee reports and also records from Junior Hadassah, the Business and Professional division of Atlanta Hadassah, the Tel Chai Chapter, the Southeastern region and the national office.
Dates: 1916 - 1991
Identifier: Mss 072
Abstract The Speech and Hearing Clinic was established in 1952 primarily through the efforts of Helen Eisemann Alexander and five other women who were concerned that there was no help available for hearing impaired African American children in Atlanta. Her papers contain records relating to civil rights, the American Jewish Committee and the establishment of the Speech and Hearing Clinic.
Dates: 1919 - 1984
Identifier: Mss 422
Abstract Helen Citron Gordon and Mendel Temkin Gordon lived in Atlanta in the mid-twentieth century. The Citron family belonged to Ahavath Achim synagogue and the Gordon family belonged to Shearith Israel. Most of the records detail the educational and employment history of Helen and Mendel as well as that of Helen’s brother, Irvin Meyer Citron, and Mendel’s parents, Julius Gordon and Sadie...
Dates: 1938 - 1994
Identifier: Mss 238
Abstract Series 1: Papers consisting of book galleys, manuscripts, plays, musical scores and audiotapes. Series 2: Personal papers, and correspondence of the family.
Dates: Majority of material found within 1864 - 2000
Identifier: Mss 109
Abstract The Jewish Ladies Aid Society (JLAS) was founded on July 5, 1874 in Columbus, Georgia, by The Ladies Purim Association. These women decided to broaden the focus of their association which was up to now limited to an annual Purim ball, to include charity and benevolence within the Jewish community and throughout the City of Columbus. Originally named the Daughters of Israel, this newly formed organization would subsequently change its name to the Hebrew Benevolent Society, The Ladies Aid...
Dates: Majority of material found within 1874 - 2000
Identifier: Mss 281
Abstract Nine Scrapbooks
Dates: 1958 - 1990
Identifier: Mss 368
Abstract Marilyn Shubin is originally from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. She lived in Cleveland for 10 years prior to settling in Atlanta. She was active in the National Council of Jewish Women in both Cleveland and later Atlanta. She was also active in the Atlanta Jewish Federation and chaired the 1978 welfare campaign. Also in 1978, Marilyn was appointed by Jimmy Carter to the President’s Commission on the Holocaust. Her papers consist of materials from her community activities with these various...
Dates: Majority of material found within 1968 - 1996
Identifier: Mss 429
Abstract The Levitas Family became known in Atlanta through a variety of activities and occupations. These papers contain letters from L.J. Levitas to his son Ted, beginning when Ted was born in 1924 and continuing until his marriage to Earlyne Shankerman in 1953, letters from Reva to Miriam Strickman Levitas while Reva was in Israel, as well as historical books and newspaper articles...
Dates: 1913 - 2019
Identifier: Mss 207
Abstract A native of Alabama, Myron Lobman was a prominent businessman in Montgomery. The papers consist primarily of business records from Stein-Lobman Dry Goods Company. Papers relating to the activities of the Lobman family of Montgomery are also included in the collection. The letter copy books from 1891-1903, contain the pertinent correspondence of the principals of Steiner-Lobman relating to the transactions of the company. The records also contain the customer names of the hundreds of small...
Dates: 1880 - 2002
Identifier: Mss 202
Abstract NA'AMAT (formerly Pioneer Women) Golda Meir Chapter (Atlanta, Ga.), was founded as in 1946. NA'AMAT is a women's labor Zionist organization that provides training, educational and social services for women, youth and children in Israel.
Dates: 1954 - 2006
Identifier: Mss 139
Abstract This collection of records traces the growth and development of one of the earliest and largest women’s organizations in Atlanta. The records date back to the Council’s inception in 1895 and cover a broad range of topics including immigration, labor, childcare, old age employment, and Tay-Sachs testing. The records consist of reports, bulletins, by-laws, correspondence, financial statements, mailings, meeting minutes, newsletters, and yearbooks.
Dates: Majority of material found within 1895 - 1996
Identifier: Mss 407
Abstract This collection is of members The Peach State Stitchers, which is the Atlanta Chapter of the Pomegranate Guild of Judaic needle work. The collection consists of newspaper articles, magazines, emails, and other sources of information on the chapter.
Dates: 1995 - 2008
Identifier: Mss 198
Identifier: Mss 266
Abstract Papers consisting of the high school memory book of Sara Cohen Alterman, 1933-1936; one photograph of a State of Israel bonds dinner, 1974; miscellaneous newspaper articles; a copy of an interview of Sara Alterman by Stacey Saha, 1996; and a copy of the Cohen Genealogy compiled in 1999.
Dates: 1933 - 2002
Identifier: Mss 282
Abstract Papers consisting of files from the many organizations in which Leah Janus was involved such as the Coalition for Women in International Development, numerous committees of the United Nations, the League of women Voters, the United Way, the Georgia Department of Human Resources, the Atlanta Jewish Federation, Jewish Family Services, the Hebrew Academy, the Atlanta Public Schools, and files relating to some of Dr. Sidney Janus' consultations as a psychologist including a job analysis of a B-47...
Dates: 1943 - 1988
Identifier: Mss 095
Abstract Sisterhood of Temple B'nai Israel, Albany. Georgia was originally known as the Hebrew Ladies Aid Society and was founded in 1895 as The Ladies Aid Society. The records consist of correspondence, financial records and minutes.
Dates: 1906 - 1989
Identifier: Mss 230
Abstract In 1958, this branch began as a branch in training. Eleven Sisterhoods participated in the first conference in 1959 with Phyllis Weinstein was chosen as leader. The Women’s League officially accepted the branch at the 1960 Convention. The mission is to serve as a connection between Women’s League and its affiliates and members and to provide services that will strengthen Sisterhoods.
Dates: 1959 - 2006