Found in 21 Collections and/or Records:
Papers and cassette tapes relating to the work of Abraham I. Rosenberg, a rabbi in Savannah, Georgia and Baltimore, Maryland.
Ahavath Achim was founded in 1886 and is Atlanta’s second oldest congregation. Today, they are Atlanta’s largest Conservative congregation. The records consist of annual reports, minutes, correspondence, financial records and membership information.
Congregation Beth El was a short-lived Conservative synagogue established in 1954. The records consist of certificate, scrapbook, song sheet, and newsletter.
Congregation Beth Jacob is an Orthodox congregation located in Atlanta, Georgia, that was founded in 1943 and is still in existence today. The records consists of annual reports, minutes, correspondence, financial records, membership information, bulletins, newsletters, and building plans for both the 1855 LaVista Road building and its expansion in the 1970s.
Congregation Etz Chaim is a conservative synagogue located in Marietta, Georgia. Their records include correspondence, meeting minutes, directories, newsletters, newspaper clippings, and speeches.
Congregation Or VeShalom was founded in 1914 when Congregation Ahavat Shalom and Congregation Or Hahayim merged. Its membership was originally comprised of immigrants to Atlanta from Turkey and the Isle of Rhodes. The records consist of financial records, and Hebrew school attendance and grade books.
The Geffen Family played a significant role in the Jewish spiritual life in Atlanta during the 20th century. The papers include certificates, calendars, correspondence, invitations, receipts, and writings.
Rabbi Emanuel Feldman was the spiritual leader of Congregation Beth Jacob (Atlanta, Ga.) for over 40 years. The files relate to the numerous issues that Rabbi Feldman involved himself during his tenure at Congregation Beth Jacob. Of special interest are the papers concerning the opening of the Atlanta Jewish Community Center on the Sabbath and the “Right of Return.”
Rabbi Harry H. Epstein was the spiritual leader of the Congregation Ahavath Achim in Atlanta, Georgia, for over 50 years. The bulk of the collection relates to his tenure and rabbinate at Ahavath Achim, but there is also material related to his academic career, personal life, and activities as a leading community figure in Atlanta and the South. His papers consist of academic course work, sermons, addresses, meeting minutes, writings, publications, correspondence, and scrapbooks.
Rabbi Joseph I. Cohen was the spiritual leader of Congregation Or-VeShalom for more than thirty years. The papers consist of death, birth and marriage records of members of Congregation Or VeShalom, records of the Atlanta Rabbinical Association, 1969-1978, and records from various organizations in which Rabbi Cohen was active.
Rabbi Nathan Katz was the spiritual leader of Congregation Anshi S'fard in Atlanta, Georgia for more than 50 years. The collection consists of sermons, writings, correspondence and newspaper articles.
Rabbi Nathan Kohen was the spiritual leader of Fitzgerald Hebrew Congregation in Fitzgerald, Georgia for 25 years. His papers include correspondence, newsletters and programs from the Fitzgerald Hebrew Congregation and sermons.
Researchers studying the Rabbi Tobias Geffen Papers will gain insight into orthodox Jewish life during the 20th century. All materials arranged in alphabetical order by subject and chronically within each folder.
Rodeph Sholom Congregation was founded in 1875 and is still in existence today. The records consist of minutes, correspondence, cemetery records, financial and legal records, and general administrative files. Of special interest to researchers are the indentures which provide a clear account of the congregation’s property.
Temple B'nai Israel has been a Reform congregation since its founding in 1854 and was a charter member of the Union of American Hebrew Congregations, now the Union for Reform Judaism. The records are composed primarily of the minutes and financial records relating to the daily activities of this congregation.
The Breman Museum Audiovisual Collection consists of videos created by, for, or in part from the Breman Museum. The collection is arranged into several series and alphabetical or chronological within each series.
From its humble beginning in 1867, The Temple has become one of the most well-respected congregations in the Southeast and continues to offer both spiritual and secular leadership for its many members. The records consist of meeting minutes, reports, financial statements, bulletins, correspondence, membership records, religious school records, and newsletters.