Found in 11 Collections and/or Records:
Congregation Beth El was a short-lived Conservative synagogue established in 1954. The records consist of certificate, scrapbook, song sheet, and newsletter.
Congregation Or VeShalom was founded in 1914 when Congregation Ahavat Shalom and Congregation Or Hahayim merged. Its membership was originally comprised of immigrants to Atlanta from Turkey and the Isle of Rhodes. The records consist of financial records, and Hebrew school attendance and grade books.
Rabbi Emanuel Feldman was the spiritual leader of Congregation Beth Jacob (Atlanta, Ga.) for over 40 years. The files relate to the numerous issues that Rabbi Feldman involved himself during his tenure at Congregation Beth Jacob. Of special interest are the papers concerning the opening of the Atlanta Jewish Community Center on the Sabbath and the “Right of Return.”
Rabbi Joseph I. Cohen was the spiritual leader of Congregation Or-VeShalom for more than thirty years. The papers consist of death, birth and marriage records of members of Congregation Or VeShalom, records of the Atlanta Rabbinical Association, 1969-1978, and records from various organizations in which Rabbi Cohen was active.
Rabbi Kranz served Temple Sinai in Atlanta, Georgia for over 25 years. The bulk of the collection is correspondence thanking him for all his service to the community and his congregants. Also in the collection are materials from his tenure at Chicago Sinai congregation. Additional correspondence can be found in subject specific folders.
Shearith Israel Synagogue was founded in 1892 in Columbus, Georgia, by approximately fifteen Jewish families of Eastern European origin. Over the years, the synagogue has retained an important presence as a conservative Jewish congregation despite its location in a predominantly non-Jewish southern environment. The collection consists of correspondence, minutes, financial records, bulletins, newsletters, and membership records.
Founded in 1888, Temple Beth El is the Reform congregation in Anniston, Alabama. The collection consists primarily of minutes of the Ladies Hebrew Benevolent Society also known as Henrietta Sterne Sisterhood and the Anniston Sisterhood. The minutes provide insight into both the “good works” of Ladies Benevolent Societies as well as the importance of this particular sisterhood in the overall success of this congregation.
Temple Beth Israel – Gadsden, Alabama was unofficially founded in 1903. The synagogue and its membership were active in the general community life of Gadsden. Without a growing population, the congregation was finally forced to close its doors in 2010. The collection consists of minutes, correspondence, and bulletins of the congregation, as well as records from Gadsden chapter of B’nai B’rith Women and the Gadsden Federated Jewish Charities.
Temple B'nai Israel has been a Reform congregation since its founding in 1854 and was a charter member of the Union of American Hebrew Congregations, now the Union for Reform Judaism. The records are composed primarily of the minutes and financial records relating to the daily activities of this congregation.
From its humble beginning in 1867, The Temple has become one of the most well-respected congregations in the Southeast and continues to offer both spiritual and secular leadership for its many members. The records consist of meeting minutes, reports, financial statements, bulletins, correspondence, membership records, religious school records, and newsletters.