Hadassah, the Women’s Zionist Organization of America
Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Found in 12 Collections and/or Records:
Identifier: Mss 248
Overview Papers relating to the varied activities and interests of Adelbert and his wife Miriam including speeches, correspondence photographs, a diary, an olive wood souvenir book from Jerusalem, a scrapbook from a trip to Europe, 1949, a scrapbook from the Walter Duranty lecture in Atlanta, 1942, a membership roster from the Zionist Organization of America, undated, and a personal telephone directory.
Dates: 1909 - 2001
Identifier: Mss 115
Overview Barney Medintz was born in London, England in 1910. At the age of 1 year he immigrated with his family to America. Following graduation from the University of Chicago he moved to Atlanta to serve as director of mens’ and boys’ activities at the Jewish Educational Alliance. Medintz worked for the Alliance for two years. Upon leaving, he founded the Service Uniform Company. In 1936 Medintz married Dorothy Davis. Medintz was active in a variety of youth and humanitarian causes in the Jewish...
Dates: Majority of material found within 1948 - 1985
Identifier: Mss 263
Identifier: Mss 119
Overview David Alterman (1917-1993) was one of five brothers who, with their father, owned and operated a wholesale grocery business in Atlanta. David (Dave) Alterman and his wife, Sara, were also active in synagogue life and a wide variety of Jewish community organizations.
Dates: 1933 - 1990
Identifier: Mss 349
Identifier: Mss 022
Overview Hadassah Southeastern Region was organized in 1926, and is the umbrella organization for all Hadassah chapters in the Southeast. The Atlanta Chapter is the oldest, having been organized in 1916. are composed primarily of minutes, correspondence, committee reports and also records from Junior Hadassah, the Business and Professional division of Atlanta Hadassah, the Tel Chai Chapter, the Southeastern region and the national office.
Dates: 1916 - 1991
Identifier: Mss 238
Overview Series 1: Papers consisting of book galleys, manuscripts, plays, musical scores and audiotapes. Series 2: Personal papers, and correspondence of the family.
Dates: Majority of material found within 1864 - 2000
Identifier: Mss 188
Overview Meyer and Estelle Kreisberg of Augusta, Georgia were active members of Adas Yeshurun Synagogue. Estelle Kriesberg was also active in numerous Jewish organizations in Augusta including the Synagogue sisterhood (Daughters of Israel) and Hadassah. The collection consists of records, including minutes from the Daughters of Israel and records from Hadassah in Augusta and the southeast region. Of special interest...
Dates: 1939 - 1991
Identifier: Mss 073
Overview The Saul family has been active in a wide variety of community activities including Ahavath Achim Congregation, Atlanta Jewish Community Center, Atlanta Jewish Federation and its predecessor organizations, B’nai B’rith Women, and Hillel. The papers consist of records from these various organizations.
Dates: 1914 - 2000
Identifier: Mss 117
Overview Mollie Bressler Bergman was a native Atlantan and a member of Ahavath Achim Congregation. During her teenage years she was involved in Junior Hadassah and a number of other clubs.
Dates: Majority of material found within 1890 - 1930
Identifier: Mss 108
Overview Robert (Bob) M. Travis was an ardent Zionist and one of the first to recognize, as early as 1939, that the Jewish people would be facing a holocaust if Europe’s Jews were not allowed to immigrate to Palestine. Robert Travis served as president of the Zionist District in Atlanta from 1937-1939. He later served as president of the Southeastern Zionist Region. In 1941, in association with Julian Boehm he was instrumental in organizing the Atlanta branch of the American Christian Palestine...
Dates: 1930 - 1977
Identifier: Mss 087
Overview Rosalie Hirsch Alterman was an Atlanta native, a graduate of Girls' High School and active in community organizations. The collection consists of memorabilia from Girls' High School, Hadassah, the Coterie Club and Camp Civitania.
Dates: 1921 - 1949