Found in 10 Collections and/or Records:
Polish immigrants, the Davidson family operated a prominent store in Cochran, Georgia, for much of the 20th century. The collection consists of photocopies of newspaper articles about the Davidson family; the naturalization certificate of Julius Davidson, 1918; the partnership agreement between Abraham Nathan Davidson and Julius Davidson, 1950; and correspondence between Abraham Davidson and his future wife Ida Radetsky of Savannah.
The Smith family settled in Vidalia, Georgia, and opened a shoe store in 1925. The family business flourished into Max Smith’s Department Store. The papers contain correspondence, newspaper clippings, and material related to Congregation beth Israel and the Savannah Hebrew Day School.
Reuben Aaron Kunnes was born in Russia and immigrated to the United States with his family in 1882. The family settled in Thomson, Georgia where they owned a dry goods business that eventually became R. A. Kunnes Department Store. The Kunnes family was active in all aspects of community life in Thomson, Georgia.
The papers pertaining to the Altman family and the incorporation and operation of Altman’s Store in Brunswick, GA (1907 – 2002), and Temple Beth Tefilloh records from 1949 - 2002.
Rich’s was established on May 28, 1867 as M. Rich Dry Goods and would grow to become the South’s largest retailer. The records consist of annual reports and financial records.
Researchers studying The Dannenberg Company (Macon, Ga.) Records will gain insight into a Jewish-owned department store in central Georgia. All material is arranged in alphabetical order by subject and chronologically within each folder.