Savannah Jewish Archives
Found in 32 Collections and/or Records:
This collection contains records created by and relating to Congregation Agudath Achim, a synagogue in Savannah, Georgia, that is affiliated with the United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism.
Financial records, correspondence, marketing materials, and meeting minutes created by and relating to Congregation B’nai B’rith Jacob (B.B.J.), an orthodox synagogue in Savannah, Georgia.
David Robinson opened one of the first training schools for radiological technologists in Savannah, Georgia. During his career, he served as President of the Georgia Radiological Society, Chief of Staff at Candler General Hospital in Savannah, and historian of the Georgia Medical Society. The papers include report cards, scrapbook, programs, bulletins, and obituaries.
Edwin J. Feiler, Jr. served as president of Congregation Mickve Israel from 1978-1980. The records document Feiler's presidency and his participation on various committees. Records in the collection include clippings, Board of Adjunta minutes, committee materials, correspondence, financial records, and presidential reports dating from 1973 to 1986.
The Itzkovitz (also Iczkovitz) family has been part of the Jewish community in Savannah, Georgia, since the late 1890s. Charles Itzkovitz (1877-1930) and Mollie Friedman (1876-1936) came to the United States from Russia in the last quarter of the 19th Century. The items in this collection consist of clippings, telegrams, greeting cards, and other materials collected by Itzkovitz family members from the 1890s to 1994.
The Jewish Educational Alliance (JEA) was chartered August 2, 1912 to meet the leisure and Americanization needs of the Jewish community in Savannah. The Jewish Educational Alliance (JEA) records consist of scrapbooks, board records, financial records, committee records, building construction and renovation records, men's club records, photographs, scrapbooks, slides, videotapes, and audio cassettes dating from 1920 to 2007.
Levy Jewelers began in 1900 as A. Levy & Son, a watch repair business at 211 West Congress Street across from City Market in Savannah, Georgia. The records consist of scrapbooks and a memoir written by Aaron Levy's daughter, Ida Levy Barnett.
Louis Alexander was co-owner of Alexander Grocery Company, Inc. and guardian to his cousin Morton Deutsch. The papers include clippings, correspondence, accounting, and legal papers relating to Morton Deutsch and the Alexander Grocery Company, Inc.
In 1773 Mordecai Sheftall, a leader among the Jews of Savannah, Georgia, established a second burial site specifically for the Jewish community. Items contain correspondence, financial records, legal documents, and minutes related to the work of the trustees of the Mordecai Sheftall Cemetery, the care of the cemetery and adjacent property, the establishment of the Hebrew Cemetery Trust Fund, the Mickve Israel Memorial Endowment Fund, and the Mordecai Sheftall Memorial Building.
This collection was created by the Savannah Jewish Archives during their association with the Georgia Historical Society. The collection includes miscellaneous programs, directories and journals published by multiple Jewish organizations in Savannah.