Jews -- Georgia
Found in 40 Collections and/or Records:
Polish immigrants, the Davidson family operated a prominent store in Cochran, Georgia, for much of the 20th century. The collection consists of photocopies of newspaper articles about the Davidson family; the naturalization certificate of Julius Davidson, 1918; the partnership agreement between Abraham Nathan Davidson and Julius Davidson, 1950; and correspondence between Abraham Davidson and his future wife Ida Radetsky of Savannah.
American Jewish Committee - Atlanta Chapter Records, 1968-1992, consisting of 21 linear feet of records including minutes, correspondence, newsletters and miscellaneous publications relating to the varied activities of this organization dedicated to building bridges between the Jewish community and other ethnicities and faiths.
Archie Solomon Papers relates to his work as an inventor and businessman in Roswell, GA. These records include business correspondence, catalogues, photographs, blueprints, etc. and an antique Singer sewing machine.
The Smith family settled in Vidalia, Georgia, and opened a shoe store in 1925. The family business flourished into Max Smith’s Department Store. The papers contain correspondence, newspaper clippings, and material related to Congregation beth Israel and the Savannah Hebrew Day School.
Beryl Weiner is an Atlanta attorney who spent his boyhood years in Camilla, Georgia. The index highlights important events in the Camilla, the South, and especially those that relate to the Jewish residents of Camilla. The papers consist of the index to the Camilla Enterprise compiled by Beryl Weiner in 1996.
The Havanah Chapter of B’nai B’rith Women existed in Atlanta, Georgia, and was made up of women from Cobb County, Roswell, and the surrounding communities. “Havanah” is the Hebrew word for “understanding” and their mission was to serve the community in every way possible. Their records consist of book club records, program information, correspondence, newspaper clippings, membership directories, and recipes.
A native of Atlanta, Cecil Alexander Jr. was a World War II veteran, a renowned architect, and an outspoken activist during the Civil Rights Movement. Cecil influenced the physical appearance, as well as the political, social, and racial structure of Atlanta. The papers consist of correspondence, certificates, speeches, and newspaper articles.
This collection contains several scrapbooks from Charlotte Kaminsky’s time at the University of Georgia in the 1950s. It contains newspaper articles, photos, and various documents and mementos from her scrapbooks.
Congregation Ariel in Dunwoody, Georgia, opened in 1993 and is an Orthodox synagogue. The records consist of photocopies of a scrapbook.
David Robinson opened one of the first training schools for radiological technologists in Savannah, Georgia. During his career, he served as President of the Georgia Radiological Society, Chief of Staff at Candler General Hospital in Savannah, and historian of the Georgia Medical Society. The papers include report cards, scrapbook, programs, bulletins, and obituaries.
Devara Felson Goodman was active in a variety of civic organizations while living in Ocilla, Georgia, including activities at the University of Georgia. The collection consists of material from family businesses, correspondence written at Blue Star Camps, and memorabilia relating to the activities of various family members.
Containing campaign memorabilia for the election campaign of Douglas Cecil Alexander for Atlanta City Council Post 3, At-Large, including correspondence from contributors; campaign contribution disclosure reports; notes from staff meetings; candidate questionnaires; schedules; advertisements; invitations, a T-shirt, posters, bumper stickers, brochures, letterhead, newsletter, stickers, correspondence, biography, and photograph.
Hadassah Southeastern Region was organized in 1926, and is the umbrella organization for all Hadassah chapters in the Southeast. The Atlanta Chapter is the oldest, having been organized in 1916. are composed primarily of minutes, correspondence, committee reports and also records from Junior Hadassah, the Business and Professional division of Atlanta Hadassah, the Tel Chai Chapter, the Southeastern region and the national office.
Harold Hersch was a Holocaust survivor and prominent businessman in Atlanta, Georiga. His papers consist of newspaper articles, a family history, correspondence from relatives in Poland, and papers relating to the restitution of property confiscated during World War II.
Harry B. Siegel began a career in railroading in 1912 and who was at the age of 25 promoted to freight and passenger train conductor. In 1940, he became general yardmaster and in 1941 he became terminal trainmaster of Southern Railway's largest freight yards in Atlanta. In 1943 he became manager of the Atlanta Terminal Co representing four railroads.
Papers, scrapbooks, legal documents, and newspaper clippings relating to members of the Horovitz Family of Savannah, Georgia.
Jack M. Levy was the long-time president of the Savannah Jewish Federation and Jewish Educational Alliance. This collection includes his personal papers.
The collection includes two scrapbooks, containing correspondence, newspaper clippings and photographs pertaining to Jewish war Veterans Post 455 from 1966 to 1968.
Katherine and Jacob Greenfield Hebrew Academy of Atlanta, Inc., was the first Jewish day school in Atlanta. It was established in 1953. Its records include anniversary books, scrapbook, 1953-1960, and photocopies of minutes.
Levy Jewelers began in 1900 as A. Levy & Son, a watch repair business at 211 West Congress Street across from City Market in Savannah, Georgia. The records consist of scrapbooks and a memoir written by Aaron Levy's daughter, Ida Levy Barnett.
A German immigrant, Louis Cohen was elected mayor of Sandersville in 1887 and served several terms. The papers consist of certificates from the Banking House of Louis Cohen, family genealogical materials, a scrapbook completed by Louis Cohen, the recipe book of Henrietta Happ, family bibles containing additional genealogical records, and correspondence from Cohen and Happ family members.
The personal papers of Martin Leffler, Sr., a Past President of Congregation Mickve Israel.
Moise Kaplan was a graduate of Boys' High School and attended Georgia Tech’s night school of Commerce. He served in the Army during WWII. After the war he returned to Atlanta and the insurance industry. He engaged in sports fishing and later authored several books on the subject.