B'nai B'rith International
Found in 18 Collections and/or Records:
Founder of the American Mills Company in Atlanta, Armand May served as captain of the drive in Georgia to raise funds for the American Jewish Relief Committee which provided aid to Jewish refugees of Central and Eastern Europe, 1921-1922. His papers consist of Correspondence, newspaper clippings and a scrapbook.
B'nai B'rith Gate City Lodge #144 was founded in Atlanta in 1870 and is the oldest benevolent association to be founded by the Jewish community. These are the only extant records of this organization. The records include minutes, membership records, and scrapbooks.
The Havanah Chapter of B’nai B’rith Women existed in Atlanta, Georgia, and was made up of women from Cobb County, Roswell, and the surrounding communities. “Havanah” is the Hebrew word for “understanding” and their mission was to serve the community in every way possible. Their records consist of book club records, program information, correspondence, newspaper clippings, membership directories, and recipes.
This Columbus Lodge of B’nai B’rith was established only one year of after the end of the Civil War. Information from other chapters - including the Gate City Lodge No. 144 from Atlanta - can be found within the records. The records consist of minutes, 1866-1976.
Herbert and Philip Ringel were both influential lawyers in Georgia. . The collection includes letters written in German, two journals of Max Marks written in late 1888 and many photographs. The collection also includes newspaper articles on Philip's career dating from 1933 to 1961.
Series 1: Papers consisting of book galleys, manuscripts, plays, musical scores and audiotapes. Series 2: Personal papers, and correspondence of the family.
Mendle and Fannie Boorstin were both active in Jewish communal life. In large part, it was the persistence of Fannie Boorstin that led to the creation of a Jewish home for the aged in Atlanta. The papers consist of minutes of the Hungarian Benevolent Society, 1926-1927; newsletters from the Young Women’s Hebrew Association, 1922-1923; and records chronicling the movement in the 1950s to establish a home for the aged in Atlanta.
An Atlanta native, Nathan Lipton was a prominent businessman and community leader. The collection primarily consists of papers relating to his family member Louise Asman Marks who was born in Darien, Georgia in 1917 and includes her baby book.
Rabbi Joseph I. Cohen was the spiritual leader of Congregation Or-VeShalom for more than thirty years. The papers consist of death, birth and marriage records of members of Congregation Or VeShalom, records of the Atlanta Rabbinical Association, 1969-1978, and records from various organizations in which Rabbi Cohen was active.
Rosalie Hirsch Alterman was an Atlanta native, a graduate of Girls' High School and active in community organizations. The collection consists of memorabilia from Girls' High School, Hadassah, the Coterie Club and Camp Civitania.
This collection contains a menu from the Atlanta 1996 Summer Olympics and three scrapbooks.
Sisterhood of Temple B'nai Israel, Albany. Georgia was originally known as the Hebrew Ladies Aid Society and was founded in 1895 as The Ladies Aid Society. The records consist of correspondence, financial records and minutes.