Jews -- Georgia -- Augusta
Found in 10 Collections and/or Records:
Congregation Children of Israel was established in 1846 and is still in existence today. The records consist of minutes, correspondence, financial and legal records and general administrative files. Of special interest to researchers is the Sunday school scrapbook, which holds pictures dating as far back as the sixties. The collection also consists of the first check written, which provides official ownership of the congregation.
Herman Shmerling was the owner of H. Shmerling, a jewelry store located on Broad Street in Augusta, Georgia. The collection consists of correspondence primarily relating to payments, credit and orders.
M. Harry Steine served in World War II and became a prominent lawyer in Augusta, Georgia. The collection consists of records from the Citizens Committee for Good Government and from Augusta city council meetings.
Papers consisting of a family history, photographs, school documents and correspondence relating the Goldstein and Tanenbaum families of Martinez, Georgia and Augusta, Georgia.
The Wittenberg family lived in Augusta, Georgia, and was active in the Jewish, medical, political, and civil communities. The papers contain correspondence, certificates, diplomas, newspaper clippings, and genealogical information.