Judaism--Prayers and devotions
Found in 9 Collections and/or Records:
Congregation Beth El was a short-lived Conservative synagogue established in 1954. The records consist of certificate, scrapbook, song sheet, and newsletter.
Congregation Or VeShalom was founded in 1914 when Congregation Ahavat Shalom and Congregation Or Hahayim merged. Its membership was originally comprised of immigrants to Atlanta from Turkey and the Isle of Rhodes. The records consist of financial records, and Hebrew school attendance and grade books.
Rabbi Emanuel Feldman was the spiritual leader of Congregation Beth Jacob (Atlanta, Ga.) for over 40 years. The files relate to the numerous issues that Rabbi Feldman involved himself during his tenure at Congregation Beth Jacob. Of special interest are the papers concerning the opening of the Atlanta Jewish Community Center on the Sabbath and the “Right of Return.”
Rabbi Kranz served Temple Sinai in Atlanta, Georgia for over 25 years. The bulk of the collection is correspondence thanking him for all his service to the community and his congregants. Also in the collection are materials from his tenure at Chicago Sinai congregation. Additional correspondence can be found in subject specific folders.
Rodeph Sholom Congregation was founded in 1875 and is still in existence today. The records consist of minutes, correspondence, cemetery records, financial and legal records, and general administrative files. Of special interest to researchers are the indentures which provide a clear account of the congregation’s property.
Founded in 1888, Temple Beth El is the Reform congregation in Anniston, Alabama. The collection consists primarily of minutes of the Ladies Hebrew Benevolent Society also known as Henrietta Sterne Sisterhood and the Anniston Sisterhood. The minutes provide insight into both the “good works” of Ladies Benevolent Societies as well as the importance of this particular sisterhood in the overall success of this congregation.
Temple Beth Israel – Gadsden, Alabama was unofficially founded in 1903. The synagogue and its membership were active in the general community life of Gadsden. Without a growing population, the congregation was finally forced to close its doors in 2010. The collection consists of minutes, correspondence, and bulletins of the congregation, as well as records from Gadsden chapter of B’nai B’rith Women and the Gadsden Federated Jewish Charities.