Showing Collections: 61 - 90 of 436
B’nai Israel Synagogue in Thomasville, Georgia, was established in 1885 and is still in existence. It is an orthodox congregation. The records consist primarily of Sisterhood of the Congregation including minutes, 1930-1972.
Bobby Johnson was the financial secretary for the Atlanta Jewish Welfare Federation of 29 years. Her papers consist primarily of records from the Atlanta Jewish Welfare Fund, the Atlanta Jewish Community Council consisting of issues of the newsletter, "Together," 1954-1955, and records from the Standard Club.
The Brandeis University Women’s Committee was an organization that sponsored many fundraisers, including their annual used book sale. This collection includes newspaper articles, pictures, official documents, membership materials and many awards.
Documents and clippings relating to the Buchsbaum and Levy families of Savannah, Georgia and New York City.
Various newspaper and magazine clippings about the Buckhead Coalition and its members, 1988-2020
The financial records of the Savannah Bureau of Jewish Education from 1959-1968. The Bureau of Jewish Education oversaw coordinating the religious education needs for all of Savannah’s Jewish residents. Supported by the Savannah Jewish Council, it was the umbrella organization for a kindergarten, weekday Hebrew school, and a Sunday school.
A native of Atlanta, Cecil Alexander Jr. was a World War II veteran, a renowned architect, and an outspoken activist during the Civil Rights Movement. Cecil influenced the physical appearance, as well as the political, social, and racial structure of Atlanta. The papers consist of correspondence, certificates, speeches, and newspaper articles.
Chaplain Gaskill was a United States Army chaplain who was among the first Americans to enter the Dachau concentration camp. Of special significance is the record book of those who died during the last three months of camp operation. The information has been sent to Yad Vashem in Israel. The papers contain records from the Dachau concentration camp including death records, hospital records, a memorial service, reports, and prisoner testimonies.
This collection contains several scrapbooks from Charlotte Kaminsky’s time at the University of Georgia in the 1950s. It contains newspaper articles, photos, and various documents and mementos from her scrapbooks.
Clarice Geigerman Woodruff was active in the arts in Atlanta, Georgia. The collection consists of the script used by Clarice from "Driving Miss Daisy," newspaper articles, and invitations, programs and flyers from the many arts related organizations in which she was involved.
This Columbus Lodge of B’nai B’rith was established only one year of after the end of the Civil War. Information from other chapters - including the Gate City Lodge No. 144 from Atlanta - can be found within the records. The records consist of minutes, 1866-1976.
This collection contains records created by and relating to Congregation Agudath Achim, a synagogue in Savannah, Georgia, that is affiliated with the United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism.
Ahavath Achim was founded in 1886 and is Atlanta’s second oldest congregation. Today, they are Atlanta’s largest Conservative congregation. The records consist of annual reports, minutes, correspondence, financial records and membership information.
Congregation Ariel in Dunwoody, Georgia, opened in 1993 and is an Orthodox synagogue. The records consist of photocopies of a scrapbook.
Congregation Beth El was a short-lived Conservative synagogue established in 1954. The records consist of certificate, scrapbook, song sheet, and newsletter.
Congregation Beth Jacob is an Orthodox congregation located in Atlanta, Georgia, that was founded in 1943 and is still in existence today. The records consists of annual reports, minutes, correspondence, financial records, membership information, bulletins, newsletters, and building plans for both the 1855 LaVista Road building and its expansion in the 1970s.
c.1976-1988, including a history of the congregation, bulletins, 1976-1986; newspaper articles, c.1981-1985; programs and invitations, 1976-1988; photographs; and general records, c.1976-1988
Financial records, correspondence, marketing materials, and meeting minutes created by and relating to Congregation B’nai B’rith Jacob (B.B.J.), an orthodox synagogue in Savannah, Georgia.
Congregation Children of Israel was established in 1846 and is still in existence today. The records consist of minutes, correspondence, financial and legal records and general administrative files. Of special interest to researchers is the Sunday school scrapbook, which holds pictures dating as far back as the sixties. The collection also consists of the first check written, which provides official ownership of the congregation.
Congregation Etz Chaim is a conservative synagogue located in Marietta, Georgia. Their records include correspondence, meeting minutes, directories, newsletters, newspaper clippings, and speeches.
Congregation Or VeShalom was founded in 1914 when Congregation Ahavat Shalom and Congregation Or Hahayim merged. Its membership was originally comprised of immigrants to Atlanta from Turkey and the Isle of Rhodes. The records consist of financial records, and Hebrew school attendance and grade books.
Congregation Sha'arey Israel Records, 1940-2006, consisting of oral interviews (cassette tapes) of past presidents, undated; bulletins, 1985-2006; minutes, 1940-2002; directories, 1972-1990; constitutions, 1960-1981; sisterhood conference records, 1979; handbooks, 1965-1967; membership rosters; board of education records, 1983-1993; synagogue history, 1999; and miscellaneous newspapers articles and photographs.
Researchers examining the Congregation Yeshurun (Savannah, Ga.) Records will gain insight into an orthodox congregation in Savannah, Georgia. The records are arranged in alphabetical order by subject and chronologically within each file.
David Alterman (1917-1993) was one of five brothers who, with their father, owned and operated a wholesale grocery business in Atlanta. David (Dave) Alterman and his wife, Sara, were also active in synagogue life and a wide variety of Jewish community organizations.
- Atlanta (Ga.) 96
- Jews -- Georgia -- Atlanta 83
- Jewish businesspeople 66
- Jews -- Georgia -- Savannah 53
- Savannah (Ga.) 44
- Jews -- Georgia 40
- Congregation Ahavath Achim (Atlanta, Ga.) 38
- Jewish women 37
- Savannah Jewish Archives 32
- World War, 1939-1945 26
- Holocaust, Jewish (1939-1945) 25
- Jewish Federation of Greater Atlanta 25
- Emigration and immigration 24
- Rabbis 21
- B'nai B'rith International 18
- B'nai B'rith Women 18
- Jews -- United States 16
- Jewish youth 15
- Entrepreneurship 13
- Holocaust survivors 13 + ∧ less
- English 434
- German 7
- Yiddish 6
- Hebrew 4
- Russian 3
- French 2
- Czech 1
- Dutch; Flemish 1
- Germanic languages 1
- Latin 1
- Polish 1
- Romanian; Moldavian; Moldovan 1
- Spanish; Castilian 1 + ∧ less
- Frank, Leo, 1884-1915 5
- Congregation B’nai B’rith Jacob (Savannah, Ga.) 3
- Epstein, Harry H., Rabbi, 1903-2003 3
- Hadassah, the Women's Zionist Organization of America 3
- Jewish Federation of Greater Atlanta 3
- Wexler, William A., Dr., 1913-2000 3
- William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum 3
- B'nai B'rith Women 2
- Bauman, Mark K., 1946- 2
- Eplan, Samuel L., 1905-1982 2
- Hebrew Benevolent Congregation (Atlanta, Ga.) 2
- Jewish Educational Alliance (Savannah, Ga.) 2
- Levy, Jack M., 1908-1988 2
- Massell, Samuel A., Jr., 1927-2022 2
- Rosenberg, Abraham I., Rabbi, 1912-1985 2
- Steiner, Andre, 1908-2009 2
- Travis, Robert M., 1900-1985 2
- United Jewish Appeal 2
- AMIT (Organization) 1
- AMIT Women 1 + ∧ less