Showing Collections: 1 - 26 of 26
Identifier: Mss 338
Abstract Papers and cassette tapes relating to the work of Abraham I. Rosenberg, a rabbi in Savannah, Georgia and Baltimore, Maryland.
Dates: 1924 - 1994
Identifier: Mss 163
Abstract The Adas Yeshurun Synagogue is the oldest and first congregation in Augusta, Georgia. It was founded in 1889 and is an Orthodox congregation that is still in existence today. The records are primarily minutes, some financial records, and program books relating to the varied activities and projects of this Orthodox synagogue. The history of Adas Yeshurun Synagogue can be found in Folder 4: 90th Anniversary,...
Dates: 1922 - 1985
Identifier: Mss 157
Abstract The Atlanta Rabbinical Assembly, founded sometime prior to 1970, is comprised of rabbis who represent the full spectrum of organized religious expression in the Atlanta area. Membership is open to and includes colleagues, both active and retired, from all sectors of the Jewish community: members serve in congregational as well as non-congregational settings. The records contain officer and membership lists, meeting agendas and minutes that reflect critical issues...
Dates: 1970 - 1986
Identifier: Mss 021
Abstract Ahavath Achim was founded in 1886 and is Atlanta’s second oldest congregation. Today, they are Atlanta’s largest Conservative congregation. The records consist of annual reports, minutes, correspondence, financial records and membership information.
Dates: 1887 - 1988
Identifier: Mss 058
Abstract Congregation Beth El was a short-lived Conservative synagogue established in 1954. The records consist of certificate, scrapbook, song sheet, and newsletter.
Dates: Majority of material found within 1954 - 1961
Identifier: Mss 215
Abstract Congregation Beth Jacob is an Orthodox congregation located in Atlanta, Georgia, that was founded in 1943 and is still in existence today. The records consists of annual reports, minutes, correspondence, financial records, membership information, bulletins, newsletters, and building plans for both the 1855 LaVista Road building and its expansion in the 1970s.
Dates: Majority of material found within 1958 - 1993
Identifier: Mss 305
Abstract Congregation Etz Chaim is a conservative synagogue located in Marietta, Georgia. Their records include correspondence, meeting minutes, directories, newsletters, newspaper clippings, and speeches.
Dates: 1978 - 1994
Identifier: Mss 057
Abstract Congregation Or VeShalom was founded in 1914 when Congregation Ahavat Shalom and Congregation Or Hahayim merged. Its membership was originally comprised of immigrants to Atlanta from Turkey and the Isle of Rhodes. The records consist of financial records, and Hebrew school attendance and grade books.
Dates: 1913 - 1973
Identifier: Mss 252
Abstract The Geffen Family played a significant role in the Jewish spiritual life in Atlanta during the 20th century. The papers include certificates, calendars, correspondence, invitations, receipts, and writings.
Dates: 1906 - 2005
Identifier: Mss 116
Abstract The Jacob L. Friend Papers was a Russian immigrant who came to America by way of Shanghai. The papers are composed primarily of newspaper articles, documents, personal correspondence, synagogue records, writings and a scrapbook.
Dates: 1915 - 2002
Identifier: Mss 429
Abstract The Levitas Family became known in Atlanta through a variety of activities and occupations. These papers contain letters from L.J. Levitas to his son Ted, beginning when Ted was born in 1924 and continuing until his marriage to Earlyne Shankerman in 1953, letters from Reva to Miriam Strickman Levitas while Reva was in Israel, as well as historical books and newspaper articles...
Dates: 1913 - 2019
Identifier: Mss 090
Abstract Rabbi Landau was a contemporary of Rabbi David Marx of The Temple in Atlanta, and both were schooled in the teachings of Classical Reform Judaism. Confirmation of these teachings is evident in the writings and addresses of Dr. Landau found within this collection. Throughout Rabbi Landau's tenure at Temple B'nai Israel he served as a respected leader within the Jewish and general communities of Albany. The papers consist of correspondence, record books of birth, marriages and funerals at which...
Dates: 1878 - 1982
Identifier: Mss 111
Abstract Rabbi Emanuel Feldman was the spiritual leader of Congregation Beth Jacob (Atlanta, Ga.) for over 40 years. The files relate to the numerous issues that Rabbi Feldman involved himself during his tenure at Congregation Beth Jacob. Of special interest are the papers concerning the opening of the Atlanta Jewish Community Center on the Sabbath and the “Right of Return.”
Dates: 1946 - 1997
Identifier: Mss 001
Abstract Rabbi Harry H. Epstein was the spiritual leader of the Congregation Ahavath Achim in Atlanta, Georgia, for over 50 years. The bulk of the collection relates to his tenure and rabbinate at Ahavath Achim, but there is also material related to his academic career, personal life, and activities as a leading community figure in Atlanta and the South. His papers consist of academic course work, sermons, addresses, meeting minutes, writings, publications, correspondence, and scrapbooks.
Dates: 1907 - 1984
Identifier: Mss 161
Abstract Rabbi Isaac E. Marcuson was the spiritual leader at Temple Beth Israel, Macon, Georgia, for over 58 years. The bulk of the collection contains letters and requests for materials published for and by the Central Conference of American Rabbis. Additional correspondence can be found in subject specific folders. The collection contains material concerning World War II and the efforts in Macon to assist Jews escaping Nazi persecution prior to and after World War II.
Dates: 1915 - 1984
Identifier: Mss 065
Abstract Rabbi Joseph I. Cohen was the spiritual leader of Congregation Or-VeShalom for more than thirty years. The papers consist of death, birth and marriage records of members of Congregation Or VeShalom, records of the Atlanta Rabbinical Association, 1969-1978, and records from various organizations in which Rabbi Cohen was active.
Dates: 1931 - 1988
Identifier: Mss 203
Abstract Rabbi Nathan Katz was the spiritual leader of Congregation Anshi S'fard in Atlanta, Georgia for more than 50 years. The collection consists of sermons, writings, correspondence and newspaper articles.
Dates: 1922 - 1999
Identifier: Mss 068
Abstract Rabbi Nathan Kohen was the spiritual leader of Fitzgerald Hebrew Congregation in Fitzgerald, Georgia for 25 years. His papers include correspondence, newsletters and programs from the Fitzgerald Hebrew Congregation and sermons.
Dates: 1938 - 1975
Identifier: Mss 169
Abstract Rabbi Kranz served Temple Sinai in Atlanta, Georgia for over 25 years. The bulk of the collection is correspondence thanking him for all his service to the community and his congregants. Also in the collection are materials from his tenure at Chicago Sinai congregation. Additional correspondence can be found in subject specific folders.
Dates: 1957 - 2006
Identifier: Mss 105
Scope and Contents Researchers studying the Rabbi Tobias Geffen Papers will gain insight into orthodox Jewish life during the 20th century. All materials arranged in alphabetical order by subject and chronically within each folder.
Dates: 1924 - 1984
Identifier: Mss 152
Abstract Rodeph Sholom Congregation was founded in 1875 and is still in existence today. The records consist of minutes, correspondence, cemetery records, financial and legal records, and general administrative files. Of special interest to researchers are the indentures which provide a clear account of the congregation’s property.
Dates: 1875 - 2005
Identifier: Mss 092
Abstract Shearith Israel Synagogue was founded in 1892 in Columbus, Georgia, by approximately fifteen Jewish families of Eastern European origin. Over the years, the synagogue has retained an important presence as a conservative Jewish congregation despite its location in a predominantly non-Jewish southern environment. The collection consists of correspondence, minutes, financial records, bulletins, newsletters, and membership records.
Dates: 1915 - 1997
Identifier: Mss 151
Abstract Temple Beth Israel - Macon, Georgia was established in 1859 by eleven men who came together for that purpose at a house on Cherry Street in Macon, Georgia. Today the congregation is still active in the Macon community. The collection consists of minutes, correspondence, cemetery records, financial and legal records, and general administrative files. Of special interest are the minutes which provide an accounting of the congregation's activities from its inception in 1859. The first minute...
Dates: 1859 - 1998
Identifier: Mss 164
Abstract Temple B'nai Israel has been a Reform congregation since its founding in 1854 and was a charter member of the Union of American Hebrew Congregations, now the Union for Reform Judaism. The records are composed primarily of the minutes and financial records relating to the daily activities of this congregation.
Dates: Majority of material found within 1861 - 1999
Identifier: Mss 400
Abstract The Breman Museum Audiovisual Collection consists of videos created by, for, or in part from the Breman Museum. The collection is arranged into several series and alphabetical or chronological within each series.
Dates: Majority of material found within 1996 - 2018
Identifier: Mss 059
Abstract From its humble beginning in 1867, The Temple has become one of the most well-respected congregations in the Southeast and continues to offer both spiritual and secular leadership for its many members. The records consist of meeting minutes, reports, financial statements, bulletins, correspondence, membership records, religious school records, and newsletters.
Dates: Majority of material found within 1853 - 1959
- Subject: Rabbis X
- Rabbis 21
- Jewish preaching 9
- Rabbis -- United States 8
- Atlanta (Ga.) 7
- Judaism--Prayers and devotions 6
- Conservative Judaism 5
- Rabbis -- Georgia 5
- Union of American Hebrew Congregations 5
- Congregation Ahavath Achim (Atlanta, Ga.) 4
- Orthodox Judaism 4
- Synagogues -- Georgia 4
- Confirmation (Jewish rite) 3
- Jewish educators 3
- Jews -- Georgia -- Atlanta 3
- Synagogues -- Georgia -- Atlanta 3
- United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism 3
- Atlanta Rabbinical Association (Atlanta, Ga.) 2
- Central Conference of American Rabbis 2
- Coca-Cola Company 2
- Congregation Or VeShalom (Atlanta, Ga.) 2 ∧ less
- English 25
- Yiddish 2
- Latin 1
- Russian 1
- Adas Yeshurun Synagogue (Augusta, Ga.) 1
- Atlanta Rabbinical Association 1
- Cohen, Joseph I., Rabbi, 1896-1981 1
- Congregation Beth-El (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Congregation Etz Chaim (Marietta, Ga.) 1
- Epstein, Harry H., Rabbi, 1903-2003 1
- Feldman, Emanuel, Rabbi, 1927- 1
- Fitzgerald Hebrew Congregation (Fitzgerald, Ga.) 1
- Friend, Jacob L., 1888-1972 1
- Geffen, Tobias, Rabbi, 1870-1970 1
- Katz, Nathan, Rabbi, 1903-1998 1
- Kohen, Nathan, Rabbi, 1908-1975 1
- Kranz, Philip N., Rabbi, 1943- 1
- Levitas, Miriam Strickman, 1936- 1
- Rodeph Sholom Congregation (Rome, Ga.) 1
- Rosenberg, Abraham I., Rabbi, 1912-1985 1
- Shearith Israel Synagogue (Columbus, Ga.) 1
- Temple Beth Israel (Macon, Ga.) 1
- Temple B’nai Israel/Albany Hebrew Congregation (Albany, Ga.) 1
- William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum 1 ∧ less