B’nai Israel Synagogue (Thomasville, Ga.) records
Scope and Contents
Researchers studying the B’nai Israel Synagogue (Thomasville, Ga.) Records will gain insight into orthodox congregations and in particular Jewish women’s involvement therein. All material is arranged in alphabetical order by subject and chronologically within each folder.
- Creation: Majority of material found within 1930 - 1974
- B'nai Israel Synagogue (Thomasville, Ga.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions on accessing material in this collection.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright restrictions may apply. Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from the repository and the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
B’nai Israel Synagogue in Thomasville, Georgia, was established in 1885 as an orthodox congregation. They built a Romanesque style building to house the congregation in 1913 on Crawford Street. The congregation peaked in membership in 1925, when there were over 100 individual members. In 1997, the building was added to the United States National Register of Historic Places. It is one of the few, if not the only, surviving pre-World War II orthodox synagogues in Georgia. As of 2020, a rabbi from Tallahassee's reform Temple Israel leads services once a month, nine months out of the year for the synagogue's few remaining worshippers.
0.2 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
B’nai Israel Synagogue in Thomasville, Georgia, was established in 1885 and is still in existence. It is an orthodox congregation. The records consist primarily of Sisterhood of the Congregation including minutes, 1930-1972.
All material is arranged in alphabetical order by subject and chronologically within each folder.
- B’nai Israel Synagogue (Thomasville, Ga.) records, Mss 81
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum Repository
1440 Spring St. NW
Atlanta Georgia 30309 United States