Scope and Contents
Researchers studying the Montage Bros. Inc. Records will gain insight into one of the largest paper manufacturers of the 20th century. All material is arranged in alphabetical order by subject and chronologically within each folder.
- Creation: 1916 - 1960
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions on accessing material in this collection.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright restrictions may apply. Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from the repository and the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
The Montag Brothers’ Blue Horse trademark rode across the South into thousands of classrooms on the front of writing tablets, composition books and looseleaf filler packets for close to 40 years. A marketing promotion launched shortly after the depression to boost lagging sales proved to be a winner for the small stationery and school supply company. Millions of trademarks from Blue Horse products were cut, collected and redeemed for cash and prizes, and by 1950, Montag was one of the largest companies in the industry. A state-of-the-art, 280,000 square foot plant was built on a 21-acre site in the heart of Atlanta, on North Highland Avenue. The property was known to many as the circus grounds where Ringling Brothers stopped and hoisted their big tops every year. In 1960, Montag and Champion Paper joined forces. The company merged again with Westab and finally, Mead Paper Company, which was the last step for The Blue Horse.
0.2 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Montag Bros., a school supply manufacturer and distributor, was established in Atlanta in 1889 by Sigmund Montag and his four brothers. Of special interest are examples of the products produced by the National Pencil Company, the factory where Leo Frank was employed. The records consist of product catalogues, 1916-1930.
All material is arranged in alphabetical order by subject and chronologically within each folder.
- Montag Bros., Inc. Records, Mss 84
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum Repository
1440 Spring St. NW
Atlanta Georgia 30309 United States