The Georgia Farm School and Resettlement Bureau Records
The Georgia Farm School and Resettlement Bureau was a non-profit agency interested in resettling and retraining Jewish refugees just prior to the outbreak of World War II. The records are composed primarily of the correspondence, minutes, committee reports and financial records relating to the daily activities of this organization. Also included are the records of some of the agencies with which the Farm School had dealings, eg. the National Refugee Service and the National Council of Jewish Women. The Georgia Farm School and Resettlement Bureau Records are arranged alphabetically by folder and chronologically within each folder. The social historian interested in Jewish relief activities, immigration efforts in the early days of World War II, and the resettlement and assimilation of Jewish refugees into a southern community will find this collection of special interest.
- 1936 - 1948
Language of Materials
Biographical / Historical
The Georgia Farm School and Resettlement Bureau was organized in 1939 as a non-profit agency interested in the resettlement and retraining of Jewish refugees. It was first thought, because of Georgia's special agricultural economy, that many of the individuals should be given training leading to eventual placement on area farms. The bureau, however, soon discovered that many of the young refugees were not interested in farming, and this newly founded organization quickly modified its agricultural emphasis to a general resettlement and training program. Maintaining its name as the Georgia Farm School, the Bureau assisted newcomers in finding employment in a variety of fields. Many Jewish businessmen were contacted in the hopes that they would employ and train refugees to develop new job skills. Other needs, including social, medical dental, and educational, were also met by the numerous committees of the Bureau. As the situation of Jews in Europe deteriorated, the Bureau developed a working relationship with the National Refugee Service. This relationship enabled the Farm School to disseminate information regarding immigration possibilities for Jewish citizens of occupied territories. So that efforts on behalf of newcomers could be coordinated, the Farm School and Resettlement Bureau worked closely with other Jewish service organizations. The Atlanta Section of the Council of Jewish Women, Gate City lodge #144 B'nai B'rith, The Temple Sisterhood, the Atlanta Federation for Jewish Social Service and the Atlanta Free Loan Association offered much time, support and assistance. The last meeting of the Farm Bureau was held on December 12, 1941, only five days after the bombing of Pearl Harbor. It was at this meeting that the Executive Council discussed the question of enemy aliens, and decided on the basis of that discussion to suspend all activities of the Bureau.
1.4 Linear Feet (4 standard legal size boxes)
The Georgia Farm School and Resettlement Bureau Records are arranged alphabetically by folder and chronologically within each folder.
1.4 linear feet
- Atlanta (Ga.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Electronic records Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Farmers Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jews -- Migrations Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Social service Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Social workers Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- The Georgia Farm School and Resettlement Bureau RecordsMss.2
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum Repository
1440 Spring St. NW
Atlanta Georgia 30309 United States