Edward M. Kahn (1895-1984) was an immigrant from Poland and was heavily involved with the Jewish community in Atlanta for much of his career. His papers primarily consist of memorabilia relating to Mr. Kahn's later years, especially to his retirement and to the many awards and testimonials received throughout his lifetime. All of Mr. Kahn's work related files, as well as some of his personal correspondences are contained in the Atlanta Jewish Federation records. The papers include certificates, scrapbook, correspondence and newspaper clippings. Researchers studying the Edward M. Kahn Papers will gain insight into Jewish life in Atlanta, Georgia. The papers are arranged in alphabetical order by subject and chronologically within each folder.
- Creation: 1937 - 1985
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright restrictions may apply. Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from the repository and the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Edward M. Kahn (1895-1984) immigrated to this country as a small boy from Bialystok, Poland. His early years were spent in New York City, where he acquired most of his schooling. In 1914, he graduated from the Brooklyn Law School of St. Lawrence University, and was soon thereafter admitted to the Bar of the State of New York. In 1920, he moved to Chicago, Illinois, where he accepted a position as the Educational Director of the Jewish People's Institute. A strong interest in social work encouraged him to take courses in community organization and administration at the Graduate School of Social Service Administration of the University of Chicago. His next career move would also be his final one. In January of 1928, Edward Kahn accepted the position of Executive Director of the Atlanta Federation of Jewish Social Service, (presently: Atlanta Jewish Federation of Greater Atlanta), of the Morris Hirsch Clinic (presently: Ben Massell Dental Clinic), and of the Jewish Educational Alliance (presently: Atlanta Jewish Community Center). Later, Mr. Kahn would also become Executive Secretary of the Atlanta Jewish Welfare Fund, established in 1936, and of the Atlanta Jewish Community Council, established in 1945. He would hold these various positions until his retirement in 1964. Over the years, Edward Kahn served his community in a number of other capacities. He was prominent in both local and national social work organizations as well as in Jewish organizations such as B'nai B'rith, the Jewish Children's Bureau, the Jewish Home and the Atlanta Bureau of Jewish Education.
0.4 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
- Edward M. Kahn Papers, Mss 7
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum Repository
1440 Spring St. NW
Atlanta Georgia 30309 United States