Levite Jewish Community Center (Birmingham, Ala.) Records
Scope and Contents
Bulletins, newsletters, fliers, programs, and minutes; yearbooks from the B'nai B'rith Youth Organization District 7, 1973-1975.
- Creation: 1955 - 2004
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions on accessing material in this collection.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright restrictions may apply. Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from the repository and the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
The charter for the Jewish Community Center, formerly known as the YMHA, was obtained in 1906 with the following members: Dr. Henry Swedlaw, Joseph Alper, S. J. Levine, M. Shugerman, Louis Wolwitz, J. Goldstein, M. Cohen, Louis Adelson, Jacob Allen and Isarore Shapiro. Dr. Swedlaw served as the first president. The next 18 years saw rapid growth under the leadership of many outstanding men. With the able guidance of Louis Pizitz, the first building on 17th Street and 6th Avenue North was financed. The site at 700 North 18th Street was obtained in 1920, and in 1924 a new building was dedicated. It was in the same year, 1924, that the Center became affiliated with the Birmingham Community Chest and to this date has done an outstanding job as a member agency. In November 1927 Benjamin A. Roth was appointed Executive Director. During the administration of William P. Engel, great strides were made, including the tremendous job the Center did for the men and women serving in World War II. It was also during this time initial steps were taken toward a new building. On December 19, 1955, the present site of 70 acres was purchased and in December, 1956, the contract for construction of the new building was signed. The Levite Jewish Community Center, formerly Birmingham Jewish Community Center was created for the Jews of Birmingham, Alabama to have a recreational facility to foster Jewish life alongside the synagogues in Birmingham.
1.2 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Levite Jewish Community Center (Birmingham, Ala.) Records consisting of records, c.1929-2006, including bulletins, newsletters, fliers, programs, and minutes; yearbooks from the B'nai B'rith Youth Organization District 7, 1973-1975; and a felt banner from Louis Pizitz A.Z.A. Chapter 1212.
All material is arranged in alphabetical order by subject, and then chronologically within each folder.
The Cuba Family Archives for Southern Jewish History, The William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum, 1440 Spring Street NW, Atlanta, Georgia 30309.
Photographs removed to visual arts and oversized material removed to oversized collection.
- Levite Jewish Community Center (Birmingham, Ala.) Records
- Demece Harvey
- March 2015
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum Repository
1440 Spring St. NW
Atlanta Georgia 30309 United States