Skip to main content

B'nai B'rith Women, Inc. Records

 Collection
Identifier: Mss 025

Abstract

B'nai B'rith Women, Inc. organized an Atlanta chapter in April, 1944. Activities included assistance to Hillel House at the University of Georgia, the Anti-Defamation League of B'nai B'rith, and the American Red Cross. B'nai B'rith Women were also actively involved with the sale of war bonds during World War II. Programs of B'nai B'rith Women have historically served both the Jewish and non-Jewish communities of Atlanta. The records include Correspondence, newsletter, records of the B'nai B'rith Youth Organizations and scrapbooks.

Dates

  • 1936 - 1977

Creator

Language of Materials

English

Conditions Governing Access

There are no restrictions on accessing material in this collection.

Conditions Governing Use

Copyright restrictions may apply. Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from the repository and the copyright holder.

Biographical / Historical

The first permanent chapter of B'nai B'rith Women (BBW) was founded in 1909 in San Francisco. Its aim was "to promote sociability among [B'nai B'rith] lodge members and their families." B'nai B'rith, American Jewry's oldest and largest fraternal and service organization, did not permit women's auxiliaries until 1897, when Ruth Lodge No. 1, Daughters of Judah, enjoyed a very brief existence. Before the outbreak of World War I, over a dozen B'nai B'rith women's auxiliaries were scattered from San Francisco to New Jersey. They expanded into cultural activities, philanthropy, and community service, such as financial support of orphanages and homes for the elderly. Their announced aims were to perpetuate Jewish culture, enrich their communities, and ensure the religious survival of their sons and daughters. Their unannounced goals included sociability and the first steps toward personal independence. At the beginning of World War II, BBW included 248 chapters with more than 40,000 members, and produced its first monthly publication, B'nai B'rith Women. In 1941, voteless women delegates protesting their status created a stir at the B'nai B'rith Supreme Lodge convention. The 1960s became the turning point in B'nai B'rith Women's activism. Inspired by the presidency of John F. Kennedy, BBW became involved in the War on Poverty's anti-illiteracy and antipoverty programs, as well as in the needs of senior citizens, including senior housing. However, the burgeoning women's movement and the early Jewish feminist movement of the 1970s became even more critical influences, turning the organization toward feminist issues. BBW transformed itself into a politically conscious and activist feminist organization, campaigning for such issues as free choice in abortion, equal Social Security benefits for women, assistance for the displaced homemaker, women's and infants' health care, and reducing teenage pregnancy. The organization also focused on programs to meet the growing needs of women on their own, career women, older women, and young family women juggling families and careers. B'nai B'rith Women fully declared its independence by changing its name to Jewish Women International in 1995. It announced its intention of continuing "cordial relations" with B'nai B'rith, and maintaining its support of the B'nai B'rith Youth Organization, Hillel, and the Anti-Defamation League. Today, Jewish Women International continues its effective programs and political advocacy on issues of concern to women. Nevertheless, it struggles with the same dilemma as other women's organizations: the difficulty of recruiting new members from women juggling families and careers, with little time left for volunteerism. (Source: Jewish Women: A Comprehensive Historical Encyclopedia, "B'nai B'rith Women," Jewish Women's Archive, http://jwa.org/encyclopedia/article/bnai-brith-women)

Extent

1.2 Linear Feet

Arrangement

All material is arranged alphabetically by subject and chronologically within each folder.

Related Materials

Mss 022, Hadassah Southeastern Region Records Mss 042, The Temple Sisterhood Records Mss 054, Amit Women, Atlanta Chapter Records Mss 097, The Hebrew Ladies Benevolent Society of Albany, Georgia, Records Mss 139, National Council of Jewish Women, Atlanta Section Records

Separated Materials

Photographs removed to visual arts collection, and objects removed to artifact collection.
Title
B'nai B'rith Women Inc. Records, Mss 25
Status
Completed
Author
Oriana Indira Valencia
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum Repository

Contact:
1440 Spring St. NW
Atlanta Georgia 30309 United States
678-222-3700