Skip to main content

B’nai B’rith Women Dolls for Democracy

 Collection
Identifier: Mss 327

Scope and Contents

The collection consists of dolls representing 17 historical figures that represent diversity and democratic values.

Dates

  • 1950 - 1960

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

There are no restrictions on accessing material in this collection.

Conditions Governing Use

Copyright restrictions may apply. Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from the repository and the copyright holder.

Biographical / Historical

In the late 1950s, and into the early 1960s, B’nai B’rith Women in Washington, D.C. created several sets of handmade dolls called “The Dolls for Democracy." One set was sent to Atlanta where they were used by the local chapter of B’nai B’rith Women to teach diversity and democratic values at local clubs, scout meetings and church and synagogue groups.

Extent

4.5 Linear Feet

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

Handmade dolls used to teach diversity and democratic values at local clubs, scout meetings and church and synagogue groups.

Related Materials

Mss 322, B’nai B’rith Women – Birmingham (Ala.) Records

Mss 326, B’nai B’rith Women of Macon

Processing Information

This collection was processed by Demece “Mickey” Harvey in May 2015. It was entered into ArchivesSpace by Elisabeth Tasicotti, with revisions by Lindsay Resnick, in 2020.
Title
B’nai B’rith Women Dolls for Democracy, Mss 327
Status
Completed
Author
Demece Harvey
Date
May 2015
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum Repository

Contact:
1440 Spring St. NW
Atlanta Georgia 30309 United States
678-222-3700