Skip to main content

Epstein School (Sandy Springs, Ga.) Records

 Collection
Identifier: Mss 302

Scope and Contents

Researchers studying the Epstein School (Sandy Springs, Ga.) Records will gain insight into Jewish primary education in Atlanta, Georgia. The records are arranged in alphabetical order by subject and chronologically within each folder.

Dates

  • 1975 - 1998

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

There are no restrictions on accessing material in this collection.

Conditions Governing Use

Copyright restrictions may apply. Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from the repository and the copyright holder.

Biographical / Historical

In 1973, Rabbi Harry H. Epstein and the visionary leaders of Ahavath Achim Synagogue dreamed of a Conservative Jewish day school that would embrace the core values of Judaism in a nurturing, compassionate and stimulating environment. They envisioned a school with a reputation for academic excellence. Thus, the very first campus, housed at the Ahavath Achim Synagogue, was founded.

In 1987, the school moved to a new location in the metro Atlanta city of Sandy Springs. The building was originally a Fulton County school, then called Underwood Hills Elementary. The Epstein School later purchased the building and underwent plans for renovation and expansion. The school's mascot is the eagle. In 2005, Epstein was identified as a United States Department of Education Innovator and is one of only three Jewish day schools in the nation to be honored as a 2004 Blue Ribbon School by the United States Department of Education.

Today, The Epstein School, Solomon Schechter School of Atlanta, is one of the best private Jewish day school in the nation and continually sets new standards for education. The school has dual accreditation from the Southern Association of Independent Schools (SAIS) and Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS). The school is also a beneficiary of the Jewish Federation of Greater Atlanta (JFGA), a member of the Atlanta Area Association of Independent Schools (AAAIS), a member of the Partnership for Jewish Education (PEJE), and a member of the Schechter Day School Network. The Epstein School now serves nearly 600 children from 18 months through the eighth grade.

(Source: Epstein School, “Mission and History,” http://www.epsteinatlanta.org/Mission_And_History)

Extent

2.6 Linear Feet

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

The Epstein School, Solomon Schechter School of Atlanta, provides unsurpassed academic excellence through an integrated, bilingual education taught by a talented, compassionate faculty and bolstered by cutting-edge technology. We foster a caring community that encourages each child to reach his or her potential and embraces partnership between family, home and school. Guided by the principles of Conservative Judaism - God, Torah and Israel - and the timeless religious ideals of our people, we prepare our students to become confident, excited learners and leaders, responsible citizens and knowledgeable, committed Jews. The records including meeting minutes, yearbooks, administration files, and PTA material.

(Source: Epstein School, “Mission and History,” http://www.epsteinatlanta.org/Mission_And_History)

Arrangement

The records are arranged in alphabetical order by subject and chronologically within each folder.

Physical Location

The Cuba Family Archives for Southern Jewish History, The William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum, 1440 Spring Street NW, Atlanta, Georgia 30309.

Separated Materials

Photographs and audio cassettes removed to Visual Arts Collection.
Title
Epstein School (Sandy Springs, Ga.) Records, Mss 302
Status
Completed
Author
Jeremy Katz
Date
April 2014
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum Repository

Contact:
1440 Spring St. NW
Atlanta Georgia 30309 United States
678-222-3700