Scope and Contents
The A.L. Feldman Family Papers are arranged alphabetically by subject and chronologically within each folder. The papers consist primarily of correspondence and records from the various organizations in which A.L. participated. Of special interest are A.L.'s autobiographical accounts in which he wrote about what life was like living in Atlanta in the early part of the 20th century. Also of special interest is the journal written by A.L. on a trip to the Soviet Union in 1933.
- 1892 - 1988
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions on accessing material in this collection.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright restrictions may apply. Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from the repository and the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Abrom Lewis (A.L.) Feldman (1896-1988) was born in Hartwell, Georgia the son of Morris Bernard Feldman and Minnie Schobelstok. Originally from the shetel of Yonave, providence of Kovna in Lithuania, Morris Feldman headed straight for Hartwell on his arrival in America. Hearing that business opportunities were plentiful in Hartwell, he began to earn money as a peddler soon after settling in his new home. As soon as enough funds were saved, Morris sent for Minnie Schobelstok, his childhood sweetheart. They were married in 1892. In addition to A.L., five other children were born to Morris and Minnie. Shortly before A.L.'s 6th birthday, the family moved to Atlanta. A.L. and his siblings went to the Ivy Street School, built in 1872, as Atlanta's first public school. The death of Morris Feldman in 1910 prompted A.L. to hire on as an office boy at Rich's. He was later promoted to stock boy, and then worked as a salesman in the leather goods and toy combined departments. After leaving Rich's, A.L. worked for The Atlanta Journal while attending Georgia Tech Evening School of Commerce. This school later became Georgia State University. A.L. left the Journal in 1916, and began working as a city salesman for the Selig Chemical Co. In 1920, at the age of 24, A.L. established his own business, the Puritan Chemical Co. In 1973, he sold the business for seven million dollars. Through the years A.L. Feldman's primary interest outside of his family and business was in field of education. As the first Chairman of the Education Committee of the Georgia State Chamber of Commerce, he produced a widely distributed film on education and also founded the Teacher of the Year Program, now known as the Star Program. He was also the first Chairman of the Governor's Conference on Education and was Cochairman of the National Council for Better Schools. He remained an active alumnus of Georgia State University and a bronze bust of A.L. is housed in the University's Urban Life Center. Also active in the Jewish community, A.L. Feldman was a past chairman of the Federation of Jewish Social Service, now the Atlanta Jewish Federation; the Jewish Community Center; and was a past president and "man of the year" of the Gate City Lodge of B'nai B'rith.
0.8 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
An immigrant from Lithuania, Abrom Lewis (A.L.) Feldman became a prominent businessman and active member of the Jewish community in Atlanta. His papers consist primarily of correspondence and records from the various organizations in which A.L. participated.
The A.L. Feldman Family Papers are arranged alphabetically by subject and chronologically within each folder.
Photographs removed to visual arts
- A.L. Feldman Family Papers, Mss 32
- Sandra Berman, Oriana Indira Valencia
- January 1992
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum Repository
1440 Spring St. NW
Atlanta Georgia 30309 United States