Atlanta Bureau of Jewish Education Records
Scope and Contents
Researchers studying the Atlanta Bureau of Jewish Education Records will gain insight into Jewish organizations and education in Atlanta, Georgia. The records are arranged in alphabetical order by subject and chronologically within each folder.
- 1931 - 1972
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions on accessing material in this collection.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright restrictions may apply. Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from the repository and the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
The Atlanta Bureau of Jewish Education was founded as a result of a meeting held by the Executive Committee of the Atlanta Jewish Community Council to consider Jewish education in Atlanta in 1945. The following year, a meeting of the Central Committee on Jewish Education was held outlining some of the problems facing Jewish education in local communities, and in August, 1946, the Atlanta Bureau of Jewish Education was formed with Barney Medintz as its Chairman. A set of by-laws was prepared and adopted by the Special Committee. The purposes of the Bureau was: a) to bring about the coordination of all Jewish schools and other educational agencies in Atlanta, to the extent that their work may be promoted through common and cooperative efforts; b) to render pedagogic and educational services to all Jewish Schools and other groups and agencies seeking such assistance; c) to encourage intelligent planning and creative effort in the field of Jewish education calculated to promote the religious, cultural and spiritual growth of the individual and the community and to make the community more conscious of the program and needs of Jewish education. The Bureau consisted of all accredited Rabbis in the community, all chairmen of committees of education of affiliated schools and all professional heads of affiliated schools. It provided consultation with directors and teachers which led to improvement in texts and record keeping. The Bureau offered various services, such as: a library which grew to house approximately 5,000 books and an extensive supply of audio-visual materials including records and filmstrips; the Institute of Jewish Studies, an adult education project; Hebrew High School – Midrash; testing programs; standards for Bar and Bas Mitzvah, Confirmation, etc.; Teacher In-Training Programs for both Hebrew and Sunday school teachers; Certification of Teachers; Licensing Program for Hebrew Teachers; annual National Bible Contest; and consultation of schools and study groups.
10.4 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Founded in 1945, the Atlanta Bureau of Jewish Education was created to coordinate Jewish education efforts in the local community. The collection contains board minutes, conference materials, correspondence, financial records, local and national education materials.
The records are arranged in alphabetical order by subject and chronologically within each folder.
The Cuba Family Archives for Southern Jewish History, The William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum, 1440 Spring Street NW, Atlanta, Georgia 30309.
Photographs removed to visual arts collection.
- Atlanta Bureau of Jewish Education Records, Mss 220
- Demece Harvey
- August, 2012
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum Repository
1440 Spring St. NW
Atlanta Georgia 30309 United States