Scope and Contents
This collection contains papers from Henry “Hank” Levy’s term as President (or Parnass) of Congregation Mickve Israel from approximately 1966-1969. Most of these papers come from notebooks that he kept throughout his term, while some come are records relating to the Savannah Jewish Council. Of particular interest to researchers are papers relating to the Union of American Hebrew Congregations (now Union for Reform Judaism) and the social and political upheavals of that time period.
- Creation: Majority of material found within 1791 - 1969
- Creation: Majority of material found within 1966 - 1969
- Levy, Henry, 1927-2016 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions on accessing material in this collection.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright restrictions may apply. Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from the repository and the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Henry “Hank” Levy was born in Savannah, Georgia on March 23, 1927 to Morton Henry (1890-1954) and Sadie Kaufman Levy (1890-1979), both Georgia natives themselves. He graduated from Savannah High School and Georgia Institute of Technology, the latter with a degree in Architecture. After his graduation from Georgia Tech, he joined his father’s architecture practice, Clarke & Levy, which later became Levy & Kiley. His most well-known commissions were the Savannah-Hilton Head International Airport Terminal, the Jewish Educational Alliance, and the Fort Pulaski Visitor Center, all located in Savannah. Henry Levy retired a few years after the death of his partner, Walter F. Kiley (1909-1992).
Along with his professional accomplishments, Hank Levy was and remains active in community causes, including the Savannah Junior Chamber of Commerce, the Savannah River Basin Development Committee, and Congregation Mickve Israel, where he served as President from 1967 to 1969. He has won many awards including the City of Savannah’s Oglethorpe Trophy (1968), the 1962 Outstanding Young Man in Georgia award, and the 1962 City of Savannah Distinguished Service Award.
Henry Levy married Clara Loeb Gershon (b. 1926) on June 8, 1948, and had four children- Suzanne Loeb Levy Falk (born ca. 1949), Morton Henry Levy II (1953-1987), Sidney Gershon Levy (b. 1956), and David Kaufman Levy (b. 1960). Henry and Clara Levy divorced in 1987, and the following year Henry married Sissy Lynn Schram (b. 1943).
Hank Levy passed away on May 2, 2016 at age 89.
2.1 Linear Feet (5 boxes)
Language of Materials
Papers and records relating to Henry Levy’s term as President of Congregation Mickve Israel, Savannah, Georgia.
The Cuba Family Archives for Southern Jewish History, The William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum, 1440 Spring Street NW, Atlanta, Georgia 30309.
The Henry Levy Papers are part of the Savannah Jewish Archives that were transferred from the Georgia Historical Society to the Breman Museum in 2015.
- Henry Levy Papers, Mss 354
- Lindsay Resnick
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum Repository
1440 Spring St. NW
Atlanta Georgia 30309 United States