Jewish Educational Loan Fund Records II
Scope and Contents
Researchers studying the Jewish Educational Loan Fund Records II will gain insight into orphanages and Jewish education in 20th Century Atlanta.
- Creation: Majority of material found within 1901 - 1996
Conditions Governing Access
A written request must be submitted to the Director/President of the Jewish Educational Loan Fund before research permission is given.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright restrictions may apply. Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from the repository and the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
The Hebrew Orphans’ Home was originally known as the Hebrew Orphans’ Asylum. The Hebrew Orphans’ Home was located on Washington Street in Atlanta, Georgia. Founded in 1889, the Home took in Jewish children from across the Southeastern United States. Although it ceased to be a residential facility in 1930, the Home continued to play an important role in Atlanta’s Jewish community by providing adoption and foster home services. Under the direction of Armand and Viola Wyle the Hebrew Orphans’ Home was based on a program of sound family casework supplemented by child placement only when necessary. The Hebrew Orphans’ Home developed from an institution into a children’s agency with a flexible program of casework and placement to meet the needs of Jewish children. The Hebrew Orphans’ Home subsidized children in their own homes to provide a stable family environment. The Hebrew Orphans’ Home felt that a happy childhood was the foundation for the mental and physical development of children into healthy, mature men and women able to face the responsibilities of life. During World War II, the Home was responsible for placing Jewish refugee children with foster families in Georgia and Alabama. This organization in now known as the Jewish Education Loan Fund.
15.2 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The Jewish Educational Loan Fund, Inc., originally provided funding for and orphanage in Atlanta. Over the years it provided funding for displaced European Jewish children and eventually interest-free loans to Jewish students in the Southeast. The records consist of general administrative files which include annual reports, legal papers and minutes; case files of residents of the Home and case files of European children brought to Atlanta under the auspices of the Jewish Children's Service during the years immediately prior to, during and after World War II.
The records are arranged in alphabetical order by subject and chronologically within each folder.
Processed by Demece Harvey (2011), converted to EAD format by Jeremy Katz (2013), and entered into ArchivesSpace with additional revisions by Lindsay Resnick (2020).
- Jewish Educational Loan Fund Records II, Mss 205
- Demece Harvey
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum Repository
1440 Spring St. NW
Atlanta Georgia 30309 United States