Skip to main content

Rabbi Isaac E. Marcuson Papers

 Collection
Identifier: Mss 161

Scope and Contents

Researchers studying the Rabbi Isaac E. Marcuson Papers will gain insight into Jewish religious life in Macon, Georgia, and relief efforts during World War II. All material is arranged in alphabetical order by subject and chronologically within each folder.

Dates

  • 1915 - 1984

Conditions Governing Access

There are no restrictions on accessing material in this collection.

Conditions Governing Use

Copyright restrictions may apply. Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from the repository and the copyright holder.

Biographical / Historical

Rabbi Isaac E. Marcuson was the spiritual leader at Temple Beth Israel, Macon, Georgia, for over 58 years. Rabbi Marcuson was born December 18, 1872 in Cincinnati, Ohio, and received his education in the public schools of that city. He was a graduate of the University of Cincinnati and of the Hebrew Union College in 1894. Rabbi Marcuson married Rose Thorner, year unknown. The couple did not have any children. Rabbi Marcuson came to Macon, Georgia in 1894 as Rabbi of Temple Beth Israel, which was located at Second and Poplar Streets. Under his supervision the new temple was planned and was dedicated in 1903. He joined Malachi Lodge, B’nai B’rith in 1894, became its president a few years later and was president of District Grand Lodge #5 in 1903. In 1915 he was elected Secretary of Central Conference of American Rabbis and was editor of the Central Conference of American Rabbis Yearbook, serving for over 35 years. An honorary Doctor of Divinity degree was conferred upon him by the Hebrew Union College in 1939. Rabbi Marcuson was President of Organized Service and Chairman of Macon Chapter, American Red Cross. He was a member of the Board of Governors, Hebrew Union College, Cincinnati, Ohio; and the Board of Directors of the World Union for Progressive Judaism; president of the Social Worker’s Club; and served on the Executive Board of the World Union for Progressive Judaism, with headquarters in London, England. One of his most satisfying experiences was conducting monthly services at the state hospital in Milledgeville.

Extent

9.6 Linear Feet

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

Rabbi Isaac E. Marcuson was the spiritual leader at Temple Beth Israel, Macon, Georgia, for over 58 years. The bulk of the collection contains letters and requests for materials published for and by the Central Conference of American Rabbis. Additional correspondence can be found in subject specific folders. The collection contains material concerning World War II and the efforts in Macon to assist Jews escaping Nazi persecution prior to and after World War II.

Arrangement

All material is arranged in alphabetical order by subject and chronologically within each folder.

Physical Location

The Cuba Family Archives for Southern Jewish History, The William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum, 1440 Spring Street NW, Atlanta, Georgia 30309.
Title
Rabbi Isaac E. Marcuson Papers, Mss 161
Status
Completed
Author
Demece Harvey
Date
October, 2007
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum Repository

Contact:
1440 Spring St. NW
Atlanta Georgia 30309 United States
678-222-3700