Adas Yeshurun Synagogue (Augusta, Ga.) Records
Scope and Contents
Researchers studying the Adas Yeshurun Synagogue (Augusta, Ga.) Records will gain insight into Jewish religious life in Augusta, Georgia. All material is arranged in alphabetical order by subject and chronologically within each folder.
- 1922 - 1985
- Adas Yeshurun Synagogue (Augusta, Ga.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions on accessing material in this collection.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright restrictions may apply. Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from the repository and the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
In 1889 five Orthodox Jewish families residing in Augusta, Georgia formed a minyan that was the origin of Adas Yeshurun Synagogue. The families belonged to J. Edelstein, Morris Steinberg, Isadore Fromberg, Abram Shapiro and J. M. Frank. They were know as “Mr. Steinberg’s Minyan” and met over a drugstore on the 1000 block of Broad Street. Later that year, Abram G. Poliakoff, a shochet, was brought to the city, to administer to all the religious needs of the Orthodox Jewish community, with a population of about 100, and included about eighty men. In 1890, the men who kept the Sabbath felt they could not participate in minyan with men whose businesses were open on that holy day, so they formed another minyan. In 1891, a third minyan was formed. In 1891, the three minyans merged. On October 9, 1891, H. C. Rooney, Judge of the Superior Court of Richmond County, Georgia, granted a corporate charter to Morris Steinberg, Bernard Holatsky, Morris Coffsky, Isadore Fromberg, S. Aaron Bulkovstein, Lesser Steinberg, Benjamin Grunglos, Abram Shapiro, Sam Steinberg, Aaron Steinberg, Solomon Wigodsky, and Mandel Sawilowsky, to be incorporated under the name of the Society Adash Jershurien. Significantly, the petition for a charter did not give religious purposes as a reason for corporation, but “… for mutual benefit and pleasure and to assist in charitable work.” In 1902 the congregation split again because some of the members felt there was a need for another shochet. After 3 or 4 years, the two congregations came together again. In 1909, Mrs. Henry Levkoff organized the Daughters of Israel. Today it functions as the Sisterhood of the Synagogue. By 1945 the congregation had outgrown their synagogue; Rabbi Goldberger enlisted William Estroff to take leadership in the building of a new synagogue. Due to the untimely deaths of William Estroff and Rabbi Goldberger, the ground of the new synagogue was not broken until 1953. Adas Yeshurun Synagogue offers a wide range of activities and services. Some of these include: daily shacharit, mincha and maariv services, two strictly kosher kitchens, a beautiful building including a traditional chapel and sanctuary, banquet hall, religious school, bar/bat mitzvah training, sisterhood, men's club, gift shop, weekly programming for teenagers, adult education, newly renovated mikvah, a private cemetery, weekly shalosh seudos services and meal, and family events.
0.4 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The Adas Yeshurun Synagogue is the oldest and first congregation in Augusta, Georgia. It was founded in 1889 and is an Orthodox congregation that is still in existence today. The records are primarily minutes, some financial records, and program books relating to the varied activities and projects of this Orthodox synagogue. The history of Adas Yeshurun Synagogue can be found in Folder 4: 90th Anniversary, 1979. Of special interest in this collection are the highlights from 1955 – 1985 found in Folder 16: “The Menorah”, which gives the history and activities of Adas Yeshurun Synagogue.
All material is arranged in alphabetical order by subject and chronologically within each folder.
The Cuba Family Archives for Southern Jewish History, The William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum, 1440 Spring Street NW, Atlanta, Georgia 30309.
Photographs removed to visual arts collection.
This collection was processed by Demece Harvey in October 2007. It was Entered into ArchivesSpace by Moirin Cody in June 2020.
- Adas Yeshurun Synagogue (Augusta, Ga.) Subject Source: Local sources
- Augusta (Ga.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Conservative Judaism Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jews -- Georgia -- Augusta Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Orthodox Judaism Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Rabbis -- United States Subject Source: Local sources
- Synagogues -- Georgia Subject Source: Local sources
- United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Adas Yeshurun Synagogue (Augusta, Ga.) Records, Mss 163
- Demece Harvey (October, 2007)
- October, 2007
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum Repository
1440 Spring St. NW
Atlanta Georgia 30309 United States