Skip to main content

Jewish Ladies Aid Society (Columbus, Ga.) Records

 Collection
Identifier: Mss 109

Abstract

The Jewish Ladies Aid Society (JLAS) was founded on July 5, 1874 in Columbus, Georgia, by The Ladies Purim Association. These women decided to broaden the focus of their association which was up to now limited to an annual Purim ball, to include charity and benevolence within the Jewish community and throughout the City of Columbus. Originally named the Daughters of Israel, this newly formed organization would subsequently change its name to the Hebrew Benevolent Society, The Ladies Aid Society, and finally to the Jewish Ladies Aid Society. The JLAS functioned as the Sisterhood for Temple B’nai Israel, founded in Columbus in 1854. Later changing its name to Temple Israel, the Reform congregation is the second oldest in the State of Georgia. The records consist of minutes, financial records, annual reports, and year books.

Dates

  • Majority of material found within 1874 - 2000

Conditions Governing Access

There are no restrictions on accessing material in this collection.

Conditions Governing Use

Copyright restrictions may apply. Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from the repository and the copyright holder.

Biographical / Historical

The Jewish Ladies Aid Society (JLAS) was founded on July 5, 1874 in Columbus, Georgia by The Ladies Purim Association. These women decided to broaden the focus of their association, that was up to now limited to an annual Purim ball, to include charity and benevolence within the Jewish community and throughout the City of Columbus. Originally named the Daughters of Israel this newly formed organization would subsequently change its name to the Hebrew Benevolent Society, The Ladies Aid Society and finally to the Jewish Ladies Aid Society.

The Jewish Ladies Aid Society functioned as the Sisterhood for Temple B’nai Israel founded in Columbus in 1854. Later changing its name to Temple Israel, the Reform congregation is the second oldest in the State of Georgia.

Throughout its existence the Jewish Ladies Aid Society has continued to establish and support social causes in Columbus. The society’s projects include the Eva M. Friedlander Educational Fund; the Frank L. Rosenthal Memorial Library Fund; the Matilda D. Rothschild Blind Fund and the Milk Fund founded by Laura Friedlander Rosenberg in 1925. Of all of the projects established by the JLAS, the Milk Fund is perhaps the best remembered. This fund provided milk to the large number of school children whose parents worked in the mills and who were often sent to school without proper nourishment.

Through its community service programs the Jewish Ladies Aid Society continues to work not only for the good of Temple Israel but for the welfare of the entire community of Columbus.

Extent

2.4 Linear Feet

Language of Materials

English

Arrangement

All material is arranged in alphabetical order by subject and chronologically within each folder.

Separated Materials

Photographs removed to visual arts collection.

Processing Information

Collection processed by Sandra Berman (December 2001). Finding aid revised to EAD format by Jeremy Katz (May 2013). Finding aid converted and entered into ArchivesSpace by Lindsay Resnick (June 2020)
Title
Jewish Ladies Aid Society (Columbus, Ga.) Records
Author
Sandra Berman (December 2001)
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum Repository

Contact:
1440 Spring St. NW
Atlanta Georgia 30309 United States
678-222-3700