The William Breman Jewish Home Records
Scope and Contents
Researchers studying the William Breman Jewish Home Records will gain insight into the working operations of a Jewish home for the elderly. The minutes of the Board are complete and chronicle the history of this important Jewish communal organization. All material is arranged in alphabetical order by subject and chronologically within each folder.
- Creation: Majority of material found within 1944 - 2006
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions on accessing material in this collection.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright restrictions may apply. Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from the repository and the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
The William Breman Jewish Home opened its facility for the aged in 1951. Beginning in 1943, it was understood by some members of the Jewish community that a home for the aged was needed to assist the growing population of elderly who were not being cared for by their immediate families. Fannie Boorstin was instrumental in bringing the plight of Atlanta’s Jewish aged to the attention of the Atlanta Federation for Jewish Social Service, the predecessor of the Jewish Federation of Greater Atlanta. Those opposed to the idea of a home contended that modern trends were moving away from institutional care for the dependent. By 1945, Fannie Boorstin, Jake Jacobs and Ida Goncher decided to launch a community-wide fund raising campaign for the Home. The organizational meeting was held on October 18, 1945. A group of 135 persons attended and $35,000 was raised. By 1946, the Federation and the newly formed Jewish Community Council began to seriously address the needs of the elderly. The Council appointed a committee to act as a central board on the care of the Jewish aged. Frank Garson was asked to chair the committee. A study of Jewish population, funded by the Federation in 1947, highlighted the need for a facility based on the growing number and higher percentage of aged in the total population. In 1950 Ben Massell donated a parcel of land on Fourteenth and Holly Streets for the purpose of establishing a residential facility. Following additional donations from members of the community and an allocation of $75,000 from the Atlanta Federation for Jewish Social Service, the home opened in 1951 with a 30-bed capacity. During the next decade the home doubled its capacity to 60 beds. By 1964 it became evident that further expansion was needed. William Breman was appointed chairman of a long range planning committee. Under his leadership it was decided that a new facility be constructed to meet the growing needs of the community. In 1967 property was purchased at Margaret Mitchell Drive and Howell Mill Road and on February 16, 1971 the new home opened. Over the next thirty years William Breman worked tirelessly for the Jewish Home. In 1991 he was honored by having the name of the facility changed to The William Breman Jewish Home.
0.6 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
A study of Jewish population, funded by the Federation in 1947, highlighted the need for a facility based on the growing number and higher percentage of aged in the total population. The William Breman Jewish Home opened its facility for the aged in 1951. The collection consists of minutes, correspondence, and newsletters.
All material is arranged in alphabetical order by subject and chronologically within each folder.
Photographs removed to visual arts collection and all oversized material removed to oversized collection.
- The William Breman Jewish Home Records, Mss 101
- Sandra Berman
- April 2010
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum Repository
1440 Spring St. NW
Atlanta Georgia 30309 United States