Skip to main content

Shearith Israel Synagogue (Columbus, Ga.) Records

 Collection
Identifier: Mss 092

Scope and Contents

The social historian interested in the growth and development of both secular and spiritual Jewish life in the South will find this collection of special interest. All material is arranged in alphabetical order by subject and chronologically within each folder.

Dates

  • 1915 - 1997

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

There are no restrictions on accessing material in this collection.

Conditions Governing Use

Copyright restrictions may apply. Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from the repository and the copyright holder.

Biographical / Historical

Shearith Israel Synagogue was founded in 1892 in Columbus, Georgia, by approximately fifteen Jewish families of Eastern European origin. For the first twenty years, members of the synagogue congregated in various vacant buildings, rooms and member’s homes. In 1913, Shearith Israel moved to its first permanent home with the building of a synagogue structure in downtown Columbus on First Avenue and 7th Street. Throughout the 1900s, the synagogue grew from the original fifteen founders to the current membership of over 100 families. The 1950s marked a time of considerable growth for Shearith Israel. The arrival of Rabbi Kassel Abelson in 1952 coincided with the congregation’s move to a larger and more modern building. At this time, the congregation also became affiliated with United Synagogue of America and became active in the Conservative movement. As a result, Shearith Israel’s United Synagogue Youth (USY) chapter became extremely active within the congregation and the entire southeast region. The sisterhood also gained momentum with assistance and guidance from the Women’s League of Conservative Judaism. Throughout the ensuing decades, Shearith Israel continued to evolve and develop from its humble beginning in 1892. Over the years, the synagogue has retained an important presence as a conservative Jewish congregation despite its location in a predominantly non-Jewish southern environment.

Extent

1.6 Linear Feet

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

Shearith Israel Synagogue was founded in 1892 in Columbus, Georgia, by approximately fifteen Jewish families of Eastern European origin. Over the years, the synagogue has retained an important presence as a conservative Jewish congregation despite its location in a predominantly non-Jewish southern environment. The collection consists of correspondence, minutes, financial records, bulletins, newsletters, and membership records.

Arrangement

All material is arranged in alphabetical order and chronologically within each folder.

Physical Location

The Cuba Family Archives for Southern Jewish History, The William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum, 1440 Spring Street NW, Atlanta, Georgia 30309.

Separated Materials

Audio and video material removed to visual arts collection and oversized material removed to oversized collection.
Title
Shearith Israel Synagogue (Columbus, Ga.) Records, Mss 092
Status
Completed
Author
Sandra Berman
Date
September 2000
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum Repository

Contact:
1440 Spring St. NW
Atlanta Georgia 30309 United States
678-222-3700