The Hebrew Ladies Benevolent Society (Albany, Ga.) Records
Scope and Contents
The complete set of minutes chronicles the work of a women’s benevolent organization and provides the social historian with insight into Jewish community life in small communities throughout the South. The collection is arranged in alphabetical order by subject and chronologically within each folder.
- Creation: 1878 - 1985
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions on accessing material in this collection.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright restrictions may apply. Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from the repository and the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
The 13 original founders were all members of Temple B’nai Israel. The organization would later work in harmony with The Ladies Aid Society established in 1895, which later became the Temple Sisterhood, and with the Young Ladies Cooperative Society, which was founded in 1901. The Benevolent Society is considered to be the oldest extant Jewish women’s organization in the State of Georgia. One of the main by-laws of the organization instructed its members that “in the case of sickness of a member of the Society or any female member of their family or a male child under 12 years of age where watch is required, a faithful nurse shall be provided and paid for by the society.” This practice was continued throughout much of the organization’s 125-year-long history. Over the years, the Society has furnished rooms at the Albany hospital, has provided free lunches for school children in need, sunshine baskets for the sick and needy, Thanksgiving baskets to the Department of Family and Children Services, and contributed financially to numerous charitable societies in Albany, including The Light House for the Blind, the Cancer and Loan Closet, Albany League of Active Teens, the Flint River TB Association, the March of Dimes, and the Youth Association For Retarded Children. In 1979, the board and congregation of Temple B’nai Israel passed a resolution recognizing the Hebrew Ladies Benevolent Society as the charitable arm of the Jewish community of Albany.
1.4 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The Hebrew Ladies Benevolent Society of Albany, Georgia was organized on February 10, 1878, by 13 women with the purpose of “doing good to all mankind and to bestow charity upon all that are needy and worthy of the same, and to promote in general all that is good and noble.” Throughout its history, the Society has lived up to these ideals and can be credited with benefiting hundreds of Albany’s citizens by providing both charity and benevolence. The records consist of minutes, correspondence, histories of Temple B’nai Israel and of The Society, financial records, memorial resolutions, membership records, and reports.
All material is arranged in alphabetical order by subject and chronologically within each folder.
- The Hebrew Ladies Benevolent Society (Albany, Ga.) Records, Mss 97
- Sandra Berman
- December 2000
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum Repository
1440 Spring St. NW
Atlanta Georgia 30309 United States