Skip to main content

Temple Israel (Columbus, Ga.) Records

 Collection
Identifier: Mss 089

Scope and Contents

Researchers studying the Temple Israel (Columbus, Ga.) will gain insight into Jewish religious life in Columbus, Georgia. All material is arranged in alphabetical order by subject and chronologically within each folder.

Dates

  • 1898 - 1979

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

There are no restrictions on accessing material in this collection.

Conditions Governing Use

Copyright restrictions may apply. Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from the repository and the copyright holder.

Biographical / Historical

The growing number of Jews in Columbus, Georgia, banded together in 1854, forming the congregation B’nai Israel. Many of these founding members were German immigrants. They initially gathered in members’ homes, but later met in a building on the northeast corner of 10th Street and 5th Avenue. The group also used this rented space for a school, which taught the members children about Judaism, as well as teaching them Hebrew and German. In 1859, B’nai Israel purchased a house on 10th Street and 4th Avenue, which they converted into a synagogue. The women of the congregation raised the money to furnish the new building and sewed such things as curtains and ark curtains themselves. Source: Temple Israel, “A History of the Jewish Community in Columbus, Georgia,” https://www.templeisraelga.com/history-1

Extent

0.2 Linear Feet

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

This congregation is one of Georgia’s oldest and was established in Columbus in 1854. The records consist of an anniversary guest book, 1979 and financial ledger, 1898-1904.

Arrangement

All material is arranged in alphabetical order by subject and chronologically within each folder.
Title
Temple Israel (Columbus, Ga.) Records, Mss 89
Status
Completed
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum Repository

Contact:
1440 Spring St. NW
Atlanta Georgia 30309 United States
678-222-3700