Skip to main content

Congregation Or VeShalom (Atlanta, Ga.) Records

 Collection
Identifier: Mss 057

Scope and Contents

Researchers studying the Or VeShalom (Atlanta, Ga.) Records will gain insight into Sephardic congregations in Atlanta in the 20th century. All material is arranged in alphabetical order and chronologically within each folder.

Dates

  • 1913 - 1973

Conditions Governing Access

There are no restrictions on accessing material in this collection.

Conditions Governing Use

Copyright restrictions may apply. Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from the repository and the copyright holder.

Biographical / Historical

Or VeShalom, meaning “Light and Peace” in Hebrew, traces its genesis to the Edict of Expulsion promulgated by King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella on March 31, 1492 – the same year as the discovery of America by Columbus. The Spanish monarchy, spurred on by the Catholic Church, decreed that all Jews must leave Spain within six months or convert to Catholicism, under pain of death. These exiles fled to the Ottoman Empire where they remained for over four centuries in cloistered communities, keeping alive their Spanish language and culture in the hope of someday returning to their ancient homeland of Spain. The beginning of the 20th century found these exiles anxious to unshackle themselves from Moslem rule and they migrated to America by the tens of thousands. Some of them made their way to Atlanta and founded Or VeShalom in 1914. At that time there was a membership of 57 families. These Sephardic Jews emigrated with their families from the Isle of Rhodes and from Turkey. Today, we have an extremely diverse membership that traces its roots from the Middle East, North Africa, Eastern Europe, the former Soviet Union, North and South America, and even Atlanta. (Source: Congregation Or Ve Shalom, “About Us,” http://www.orveshalom.org/.)

Extent

9.4 Linear Feet

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

Congregation Or VeShalom was founded in 1914 when Congregation Ahavat Shalom and Congregation Or Hahayim merged. Its membership was originally comprised of immigrants to Atlanta from Turkey and the Isle of Rhodes. The records consist of financial records, and Hebrew school attendance and grade books.

Arrangement

All material is arranged in alphabetical order and chronologically within each folder.

Related Materials

Mss 029, B’nai B’rith Youth Organization – Atlanta Chapter A.Z.A. 134 Records Mss 058, Congregation Beth El Mss 059, The Temple Records Mss 089, Temple Israel (Columbus, Ga.) Records Mss 090, Rabbi Edmund A. Landau Family Papers
Title
Congregation Or VeShalom (Atlanta, Ga.) Records, Mss 57
Status
Completed
Author
Hannah Helmey and Oriana Indira Valencia (February 2019)
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum Repository

Contact:
1440 Spring St. NW
Atlanta Georgia 30309 United States
678-222-3700