H.G.H. Society (Savannah, Ga.) Records
Scope and Contents
The H.G.H. Society (Savannah, Ga.) Records date from 1889 to 1991, with the bulk dating between 1924 and 1975. Most of the documents are written in English, but one early ledger (1903-1914), as well as some early copies of the constitution, are written in Yiddish/Germanic Hebrew. The collection includes the original charter as well as various versions of the constitution and bylaws, membership applications, acceptance letters, files dealing with member benefits, documents pertaining to those members who served on the Executive Council, newsletters, clippings, meeting notices, meeting minutes, and documents pertaining to the upkeep of the Society as well as the monetary aspects of member benefits.
- Creation: 1889 - 1991
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions on accessing material in this collection.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright restrictions may apply. Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from the repository and the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
The Hebrah Gemiluth Hesed (H.G.H.) Society, the Society for Doing Good Deeds, is a fraternal philanthropic society that was organized in 1888 (5648) and chartered in 1889 in Savannah, Georgia, to carry out the principle beliefs of the Jewish religion, tzedakah, charity, and justice. The Society, which in times past was also known as Chevra Gemileth Chased or Gemiloth Chesed, was created as an economic and social support system for early Jewish immigrants from eastern Europe, helping them gain independence and become active members of their new community. Interest-free loans were made to members, allowing them to start businesses and bring over family members that had been left behind in the Old Country. Other membership assistance included sick and death benefits. Towards the end of the twentieth century, membership benefits became primarily social rather than financial. Hebrah Gemiluth Hesed, however, continues its mission as a philanthropic society by continuing to contribute to various charities and community organizations.
9.6 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Documents and ledger books relating to the Hebrah Gemiluth Hesed, or “H.G.H. Society,” a social, fraternal, and benevolent society for Jewish men in Savannah, Georgia.
The collection is organized into five series- 1. Organization, formation and history, 2. Membership and leadership, 3. General administrative files, 4. Minutes, and 5. Financial records. Undated materials are located at the ends of their respective folders.
The H.G.H. Society (Savannah, Ga.) Records are part of the Savannah Jewish Archives that were transferred from the Georgia Historical Society to the Breman Museum in 2015.
Oversize Materials removed to Oversized Collection and artifacts removed to Artifact Collection.
- H.G.H. Society (Savannah, Ga.) Records, Mss 340
- Valerie Frey (2000), Lynette Stoudt (2015), and Lindsay Resnick (2015)
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum Repository
1440 Spring St. NW
Atlanta Georgia 30309 United States