Congregation Yeshurun (Savannah, Ga.) Records
Scope and Contents
Researchers examining the Congregation Yeshurun (Savannah, Ga.) Records will gain insight into an orthodox congregation in Savannah, Georgia. The records are arranged in alphabetical order by subject and chronologically within each file.
- Creation: 1933 - 1939
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions on accessing material in this collection.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright restrictions may apply. Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from the repository and the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Congregation Yeshurun was established in the early 1930s by a group of Jews interested in creating a new Conservative congregation in the city of Savannah. Housed at Lawton Memorial Hall on Bull Street, Congregation endeavors included Sabbath services, a weekly religious school, a bi-weekly Hebrew school, the Yeshurun Sisterhood, and the Yeshurun Men's League. Regular services were suspended in 1934 due to “grave financial problems” and Yeshurun Congregation later dissolved. In 1945, Savannah’s Congregation Agudath Achim, which was incorporated in 1903 as an Orthodox congregation, joined the United Synagogue as a Conservative congregation.
0.4 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The Congregation Yeshurun (Savannah, Ga.) Records are arranged in alphabetical order by subject and chronologically within each file.
The Congregation Yeshurun (Savannah, Ga.) Records are part of the Savannah Jewish Archives which were transferred from the Georgia Historical Society to the Breman Museum in 2015.
Processed by Valerie Frey, 2001 and Jeremy Katz, 2017.
- Congregation Yeshurun (Savannah, Ga.) Records, Mss 383
- Valerie Frey, 2001 and Jeremy Katz, 2017.
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum Repository
1440 Spring St. NW
Atlanta Georgia 30309 United States