Skip to main content

David Robinson Papers

 Collection
Identifier: Mss 384

Scope and Contents

This collection contains Savannah Public School report cards of David Robinson and his brother Michael. Particularly of interest, is a World War II era scrapbook from the U. S. military, 184th General Hospital under the command of Col. Daniel J. Berry. This original scrapbook consists of a typewritten description of the hospital, organized by department, which is accompanied by 59 photographs. For preservation purposes, the scrapbook was photocopied and the photographs were removed. Other materials in the collection include programs for hospital building dedication services in South Georgia, medical history articles written by Robinson, and death notices. The papers are arranged in alphabetical order by subject and chronologically within each folder.

Dates

  • 1916 - 1984

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

There are no restrictions on accessing material in this collection.

Conditions Governing Use

Copyright restrictions may apply. Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from the repository and the copyright holder.

Biographical / Historical

David Robinson was born in Savannah, Georgia, on March 20, 1915 and married Rebecca Drucker on December 26, 1940. He attended public schools in Savannah and was a member of the Armstrong College first graduating class before obtaining a medical degree from the University of Georgia in 1942. A veteran of World War II, Robinson served with the United States Army Medical Corps from 1943 to 1946 including service at the 184th General Hospital in Fort Devens, Massachusetts. After a residency program at University Hospital in Augusta, Georgia, he returned to Savannah in 1947 and opened one of the first training schools for radiological technologists. During his career, he served as President of the Georgia Radiological Society, Chief of Staff at Candler General Hospital in Savannah, and historian of the Georgia Medical Society. Robinson retired in 1970 and died in Savannah on November 22, 1980. He was a member of Savannah’s Congregation B’nai B’rith Jacob.

Extent

0.4 Linear Feet

Language of Materials

English

Overview

David Robinson opened one of the first training schools for radiological technologists in Savannah, Georgia. During his career, he served as President of the Georgia Radiological Society, Chief of Staff at Candler General Hospital in Savannah, and historian of the Georgia Medical Society. The papers include report cards, scrapbook, programs, bulletins, and obituaries.

Arrangement

The papers are arranged in alphabetical order by subject and chronologically within each folder.

Custodial History

The David Robinson Papers are part of the Savannah Jewish Archives which were transferred from the Georgia Historical Society to the Breman Museum in 2015.

Separated Materials

The Atlanta Medicine Bulletin of the Medical Association of Atlanta, Aug 1979 was separated from the collection and filed in the Georgia Historical Society vertical files. Photographs removed to visual arts collection.
Title
David Robinson Papers, Mss 384
Status
Completed
Author
V.J. Frey, 2001; addenda processed by N. Galler, 2004; Jeremy Katz, 2017
Date
2001
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum Repository

Contact:
1440 Spring St. NW
Atlanta Georgia 30309 United States
678-222-3700