Harmonie Club (Savannah, Ga.) Records
Scope and Contents
The Harmonie Club (Savannah, Ga.) Records date from 1895 to 1978 and consist primarily of minutes and financial information. Ledgers and record books, dated 1895 to 1974, consist primarily of minutes, visitor information, and financial data including periodic reports made to the club. Other records, dated 1903 to 1978, include documents pertaining to the club’s minutes, finances, and reports and the 1928 charter. Undated materials are located at the front of their respective folders.
- Creation: 1895 - 1978
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions on accessing material in this collection.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright restrictions may apply. Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from the repository and the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
The Harmonie Club is a Jewish men’s social group that was formed in Savannah, Georgia on September 28, 1865. On October 22, 1865, vice president Lawrence Lippman addressed the new club on the topic of the recent Civil War, calling on members to “sink personal spite in oblivion” and let “Harmonie” be their aim. The Club’s constitution was adopted on December 11, 1865 and original charter on December 6, 1866. For many years the Club occupied the Masonic Hall at Bull and Broughton Streets, using Andrews Hall at Jefferson and Broughton Streets for special events. In 1883 the Club purchased 2-4 East Jones Street at Bull Street (Kanter Hall), which the Club held until 1959.
5.4 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The Harmonie Club is a Jewish men’s social group that was formed in Savannah, Georgia on September 28, 1865. The records consist primarily of minutes and financial information.
The records are arranged in chronological order within each box.
The Harmonie Club (Savannah, Ga.) Records are part of the Savannah Jewish Archives that were transferred from the Georgia Historical Society to the Breman Museum in 2015.
- Harmonie Club (Savannah, Ga.) Records, Mss 336
- Valerie Frey (2001) and Jeremy Katz (2015)
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum Repository
1440 Spring St. NW
Atlanta Georgia 30309 United States