Savannah Jewish News Collection
Scope and Contents
This collection contains every issue of the Jewish Alliance and Savannah Jewish News from its founding in 1943 to the present, with the exception of those from 1948 and 1975. The paper was originally printed biweekly, but is now printed monthly, except for August, when no issue is released. The High Holiday issue, released in either September or October, is often a double- or triple- length issue. In 2008, the Savannah Jewish Federation began distributing digital copies of the Jewish News on their website, https://www.savj.org/news/archived-savannah-jewish-news. The issues from 2008 to the present were acquired through this site.
- Creation: 1945 - 1947
- Creation: 1949 - 2017
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions on accessing material in this collection.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright restrictions may apply. Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from the repository and the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Savannah has a long-established and active Jewish community, founded in 1733. This includes three synagogues – Congregation Mickve Israel (Reform, founded 1733), Congregation B’nai B’rith Jacob (Orthodox, founded 1861), and Congregation Agudath Achim (Conservative, founded 1903). In 1912, in response to the large number of Jewish immigrants arriving from Eastern Europe and the growing Young Men’s Hebrew Association movement, the Jewish Educational Alliance was founded in Downtown Savannah. This became the central location where all members of the Jewish community could congregate. The Savannah Jewish Council (since 1985, the Savannah Jewish Federation) was founded in 1943 by twenty-two local Jewish organizations and twelve original members, and in 1945 it began publishing the Jewish Alliance, a newspaper with stories of interest to the local Jewish community, as well as national and international Jewish news. For the October 28, 1949 issue, the paper’s name changed to the Savannah Jewish News, the name it keeps to this day.
2.4 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The archives of the Savannah Jewish News (originally the Jewish Alliance), the newspaper of the Jewish community in Savannah, Georgia.
The newspapers are arranged chronologically and divided into folders by year.
The Savannah Jewish News Collection is part of the Savannah Jewish Archives which were transferred from the Georgia Historical Society to the Breman Museum in 2015.
Monthly accruals are expected as new issues are released.
- Savannah Jewish News Collection, Mss 386
- Lindsay Resnick
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum Repository
1440 Spring St. NW
Atlanta Georgia 30309 United States